Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Kausal Malladi <mk...@gmail.com> on 2013/03/29 06:41:29 UTC

Can same Xen Server Host be used for different Management Servers?

Hi,
As part of development, I have configured a XenServer host with
Management Server built from CloudStack 3.0 source code and have
changed few things (resource allocation algorithm) in CloudStack 4.0
source code (for my experiment).
Can I use the same host for testing my cloud with management server
built from modified CloudStack 4.0 source code, or should I create a
new host?

In short, can a XenServer host be switched between two or more
management servers? I think giving same IP to both management servers
and using one at a time should be okay. Correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks and Regards,
Kausal Malladi
www.kausalmalladi.tk

Re: Can same Xen Server Host be used for different Management Servers?

Posted by prasanna <ts...@apache.org>.
On 29 March 2013 11:37, Kausal Malladi <mk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I tried that, but on my 3GB machine inside DevCloud only SSVM is
> getting started and not ConsoleProxy VM because of Insufficient Server
> Capacity Exception. Also I am not able to create a new Virtual Machine
> as template is not getting downloaded.
> My experiment needs at least 2 VMs to be created in a host on my cloud
> which is not happening inside DevCloud.

Hopefully - this will be resolved after the 'quickcloud' branch merges
into master.

> Also, Sebastien once suggested that DevCloud2.0 and ACS 4.0.0 won't work.

Sebastien is right.  Devcloud2 is for 4.1 onwards

> Do you have any suggestions in this regard?

You will need to create a new XenServer setup with 4.0 if you don't
want to affect the 3.0 setup you have.

Re: Can same Xen Server Host be used for different Management Servers?

Posted by Kausal Malladi <mk...@gmail.com>.
I tried that, but on my 3GB machine inside DevCloud only SSVM is
getting started and not ConsoleProxy VM because of Insufficient Server
Capacity Exception. Also I am not able to create a new Virtual Machine
as template is not getting downloaded.
My experiment needs at least 2 VMs to be created in a host on my cloud
which is not happening inside DevCloud.

Also, Sebastien once suggested that DevCloud2.0 and ACS 4.0.0 won't work.

Do you have any suggestions in this regard?

Thanks.
Kausal Malladi
www.kausalmalladi.tk

Posted by Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com>.
This can be made to work (but YMMV, not for production)
The configuration table has an entry with name = 'instance.value'.
This is set to 'VM' by default (and hence the vm names on the hypervisors
have 'VM') on them.
Change this to something else (e.g., KM) on the 4.0 installation.

Posted by prasanna <ts...@apache.org>.