Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Mitch Christensen <mi...@centegy.com> on 2000/08/10 17:39:47 UTC

Tomcat & Apache

Hi,

We have Tomcat working behind Apache (out-of-process).  Works fine, but I notice
that Tomcat continues to operate in standalone mode, listening on 8080 as well.

Is there any way to have Tomcat run solely as a servlet/JSP engine, and turn off
the HTTP processing?

-Mitch

PS I did check the FAQ & docs, peraps I missed it?

org/xml/sax

Posted by Slava Voronin <sv...@home.com>.
I am using tomcat and trying to compile ldapAuthCheck.java file.
Anybody can help with this error message (org/xml/sax)?

dev:/usr/share/java/servlets# jikes ldapAuthCheck.java

Found 1 semantic error and issued 1 warning compiling "ldapAuthCheck.java":

    45.         public void ldapAuthCheck()
                       <---------------->
*** Warning: The name of this method "ldapAuthCheck" matches the name of the con
taining class. However, the method is not a constructor since its declarator is
qualified with a type.

   412.                 Attributes attrs = sr.getAttributes();
                        <-------->
*** Error: Type Attributes is imported on demand from package javax/naming/direc
tory and package org/xml/sax.

Thanks.
Slava.

Re: Tomcat & Apache

Posted by Mitch Christensen <mi...@centegy.com>.
I'm sorry.

I suspect that I should just comment out the HttpConnectionHander <Connection/>
element in the server.xml file.

If this is not right, let me know.  Otherwise, I apologize for consuming the
bandwidth.

-Mitch

Re: Tomcat & Apache

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
Mitch Christensen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We have Tomcat working behind Apache (out-of-process).  Works fine, but I notice
> that Tomcat continues to operate in standalone mode, listening on 8080 as well.
>
> Is there any way to have Tomcat run solely as a servlet/JSP engine, and turn off
> the HTTP processing?

In the file $TOMCAT_HOME/conf/server.conf you need to comment out or
remove the
<Connector> entry which has a port number of 8080, then restart Tomcat.

Be sure you do *not* remove the <Connector> entry for port 8007 -- that
is the one
used to communicate between Apache and Tomcat.

> -Mitch
>
> PS I did check the FAQ & docs, peraps I missed it?

Craig McClanahan

RE: Tomcat & Apache

Posted by Russ White <ru...@earthlink.net>.
Just comment out the connector for port 8080 in server.xml

Russ White
Java, it's not just for breakfast anymore...