Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org> on 2013/01/23 14:48:16 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Onami-Logging 3.4.0-incubating

Good morning IPMC,

The Apache Onami community has voted[1] the release of Apache
Onami-Logging 3.4.0-incubating, collecting two IPMC votes from members
Olivier Lamy and Christian Grobmeier.

This is the changelist:

Bug
[ONAMI-28] - Do not use code from com.google.inject.internal

Dependency upgrade
[ONAMI-61] - Update SLF4J to v1.7.2

New Feature
[ONAMI-1] - Add the Apache Log4j 2 integration module

Task
[ONAMI-7] - Import Logging donated codebase to ASF SVN
[ONAMI-16] - Update Logging docs
[ONAMI-26] - Make all artifactId OSGi name compliant
[ONAMI-31] - Update parent pom reference to released 1-incubating version

SVN source tag
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/onami/tags/org.apache.onami.logging.parent-3.4.0-incubating/

Staging repo:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheonami-150/

Vote will be open for at least 72 hours and closes approximatively on
26th Jan 2013, at 1:40pm.

[ ] +1, let's get it ruuuumbleeeeee!!!
[ ] +/-0, fine, but consider to fix few issues before...
[ ] -1, nope, because... (and please explain why)

So IPMCs please cast your votes!

[1] http://markmail.org/message/pe5lzynixtpk2er5

http://simonetripodi.livejournal.com/
http://twitter.com/simonetripodi
http://www.99soft.org/

Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Release Apache Onami-Logging 3.4.0-incubating

Posted by Daniel Manzke <da...@googlemail.com>.
+1 for the workload :)

--
Viele Grüße/Best Regards

Daniel Manzke

Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Release Apache Onami-Logging 3.4.0-incubating

Posted by Daniel Manzke <da...@googlemail.com>.
+1 for the workload :)

--
Viele Grüße/Best Regards

Daniel Manzke

[RESULT][VOTE] Release Apache Onami-Logging 3.4.0-incubating

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
Hi all,

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Onami-Logging 3.4.0-incubating

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 2:48 PM, Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>wrote:

> Good morning IPMC,
>
> The Apache Onami community has voted[1] the release of Apache
> Onami-Logging 3.4.0-incubating, collecting two IPMC votes from members
> Olivier Lamy and Christian Grobmeier.
>
> This is the changelist:
>
> Bug
> [ONAMI-28] - Do not use code from com.google.inject.internal
>
> Dependency upgrade
> [ONAMI-61] - Update SLF4J to v1.7.2
>
> New Feature
> [ONAMI-1] - Add the Apache Log4j 2 integration module
>
> Task
> [ONAMI-7] - Import Logging donated codebase to ASF SVN
> [ONAMI-16] - Update Logging docs
> [ONAMI-26] - Make all artifactId OSGi name compliant
> [ONAMI-31] - Update parent pom reference to released 1-incubating version
>
> SVN source tag
>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/onami/tags/org.apache.onami.logging.parent-3.4.0-incubating/
>
> Staging repo:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheonami-150/
>
> Vote will be open for at least 72 hours and closes approximatively on
> 26th Jan 2013, at 1:40pm.
>
> [ ] +1, let's get it ruuuumbleeeeee!!!
> [ ] +/-0, fine, but consider to fix few issues before...
> [ ] -1, nope, because... (and please explain why)
>
> So IPMCs please cast your votes!
>
> [1] http://markmail.org/message/pe5lzynixtpk2er5

> http://simonetripodi.livejournal.com/
> http://twitter.com/simonetripodi
> http://www.99soft.org/

Thanks
- Mohammad Nour
----
- Albert Einstein

[RESULT][VOTE] Release Apache Onami-Logging 3.4.0-incubating

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
Hi all,

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.
On 04.02.2013 01:05, Mohammad Nour El-Din wrote:
> Hi Branko...

>>> What do you mean with "right"? They all are "right", because they
>>> contain different sources and we want to release them all.
>> In the end I realized that only the -parent.zip contained all the
>> sources and was comparable to the contents of the release tag in SVN.
>> This should, IMO, be better communicated in the vote announcement.
>>
> I agree this might be a helpful detail but not a mandatory or necessary one
> as it can be deduced from the structure of the project

Only if you happen to be familiar with Maven.

-- Brane

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Onami-Logging 3.4.0-incubating

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
Hi Branko...

On Sun, Feb 3, 2013 at 10:31 PM, Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 03.02.2013 21:26, Christian Grobmeier wrote:
> >> Just to be clear, in the case of Onami Logging, reviewers are  asked to
> >> find the right package amongst 8 different source packages in 8
> >> different directories.
> > What do you mean with "right"? They all are "right", because they
> > contain different sources and we want to release them all.
>
> In the end I realized that only the -parent.zip contained all the
> sources and was comparable to the contents of the release tag in SVN.
> This should, IMO, be better communicated in the vote announcement.

I agree this might be a helpful detail but not a mandatory or necessary one
as it can be deduced from the structure of the project

> The fact that the NOTICE files in the other source .jars are not
> identical to the one in the source .zip, or in the release tag, is
> (putting it mildly) confusing.
>
> > Impossible? I have to disagree. One can:
> >
> > wget -r -l 1 -np -nH -nd -nv -e robots=off --wait 10
> > --no-check-certificate
> > https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheonami-150/
> >
> > and easily gets all files.
>
> Yes. I'm not interested in checking a lot of binaries. They're not part
> of the release, right?

Well yes and no, what we release is the source code itself, but optionally
and for the convenience of users (developers) who do not want to build the
artifacts from source code on their machines, which can be for what ever
reason, we publish maven artifacts and if they are published they have to
comply to the rules in [1]

I know sometimes checking a release is a PITA process, but someone needs to
do it to get the effort of other Apache Commiters and Members out and to
progress with other stuff, it is a *voluntary team work* effort.

For sure your comments and ideas to enhance, improve and ease the process
of release check, for Onami or any other project in general are more than
welcome, but allow me to say that IMHO it is not helpful to ask an ASF
project team to provide the release in a way that suits every an each IPMC
member to make it easy for them to check

[1] http://www.apache.org/dev/publishing-maven-artifacts.html

> -- Brane

Thanks
- Mohammad Nour
----
- Albert Einstein

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Onami-Logging 3.4.0-incubating

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Feb 2, 2013 at 10:19 PM, Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 02.02.2013 21:36, Branko Čibej wrote:
>> On 23.01.2013 14:48, Simone Tripodi wrote:
>>> SVN source tag
>>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/onami/tags/org.apache.onami.logging.parent-3.4.0-incubating/
>>>
>>> Staging repo:
>>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheonami-150/
>> Since when do source packages not have to be on dist.apache.org?

We copy to dist after the vote is successful.
Our process is very similar to the one Commons uses:
http://wiki.apache.org/commons/UsingNexus

Our document is:
http://onami.incubator.apache.org/committers/release-howto.html

> Just to be clear, in the case of Onami Logging, reviewers are  asked to
> find the right package amongst 8 different source packages in 8
> different directories.

What do you mean with "right"? They all are "right", because they
contain different sources and we want to release them all.

> Initially I thought that the logging-parent.zip would be enough to
> verify the release; but the notice files in the various module-specific
> source jar files aren't identical to the one in the repository. At that
> point I stopped looking.

We made different packages for different use cases - not everybody
wants to include the log4j2 appender when he is using commons-logging.
Of course this strategy can be discussed on our mailinglist, as there
are some people who prefer bigger "all inclusive" jars. But for now,
we have that fragmentation.

That said, reviewers should -imho- look at all artifacts, not only the
source artifacts. I look also into the javadoc artifacts.

> In other words, the reason you're not getting votes from the IPMC is
> that it's well-nigh impossible for an outsider to verify the release
> artefacts.

Impossible? I have to disagree. One can:

wget -r -l 1 -np -nH -nd -nv -e robots=off --wait 10
--no-check-certificate
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheonami-150/

and easily gets all files.

One can use Ivans Gist:
https://gist.github.com/3504123

or use this:
http://www.grobmeier.de/checking-md5-and-signatures-with-a-shell-script-29062011.html

to check sigs, hashes etc.

We have RAT to help looking at many formal aspects.

So there is a lot of helpers which make it possible to review that release.

I mean, what are you proposing? That a podling makes releases in a way
they can be easily verified by the IPMC? Should we cancel the vote now
and prepare one big fat file for easy review?

Cheers
Christian

http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Onami-Logging 3.4.0-incubating

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
Hi Brane,

thanks a lot for reviewing Onami releases, much more than appreciated!

> Since when do source packages not have to be on dist.apache.org?

We usually copy source packages release after the vote passes.

> In other words, the reason you're not getting votes from the IPMC is
> that it's well-nigh impossible for an outsider to verify the release
> artefacts.

I hope there is a misunderstanding here and I have the chance to
change your opinion: for multi-modules components, the parent contains
the source-release artifact, in the case of Onami-Logging I just
downloaded it:

    wget --no-check-certificate
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheonami-150/org/apache/onami/logging/org.apache.onami.logging.parent/3.4.0-incubating/org.apache.onami.logging.parent-3.4.0-incubating-source-release.zip

then decmpressed

    unzip org.apache.onami.logging.parent-3.4.0-incubating-source-release.zip

and relaunched the build

    cd org.apache.onami.logging.parent-3.4.0-incubating
    mvn package

Build successfully terminates:

[INFO] Apache Onami-Logging - Parent ..................... SUCCESS [3.784s]
[INFO] Apache Onami-Logging - Core ....................... SUCCESS [1:14.521s]
[INFO] Apache Onami-Logging - Test framework ............. SUCCESS [2.352s]
[INFO] Apache Onami-Logging - JULI ....................... SUCCESS [2.917s]
[INFO] Apache Onami-Logging - Apache Commons-Logging ..... SUCCESS [2.768s]
[INFO] Apache Onami-Logging - Apache Log4j ............... SUCCESS [2.817s]
[INFO] Apache Onami-Logging - SLF4J ...................... SUCCESS [3.054s]
[INFO] Apache Onami-Logging - Apache Log4j2 .............. SUCCESS [3.624s]
[INFO] BUILD SUCCESS
[INFO] Total time: 1:36.352s
[INFO] Finished at: Sun Feb 03 21:28:21 CET 2013
[INFO] Final Memory: 31M/2031M

And all target artifacts are generated:

$ find . -name "*.jar"
./commons-logging/target/org.apache.onami.logging.acl-3.4.0-incubating-javadoc.jar
./commons-logging/target/org.apache.onami.logging.acl-3.4.0-incubating-sources.jar
./commons-logging/target/org.apache.onami.logging.acl-3.4.0-incubating.jar
./core/target/org.apache.onami.logging.core-3.4.0-incubating-javadoc.jar
./core/target/org.apache.onami.logging.core-3.4.0-incubating-sources.jar
./core/target/org.apache.onami.logging.core-3.4.0-incubating.jar
./juli/target/org.apache.onami.logging.juli-3.4.0-incubating-javadoc.jar
./juli/target/org.apache.onami.logging.juli-3.4.0-incubating-sources.jar
./juli/target/org.apache.onami.logging.juli-3.4.0-incubating.jar
./log4j/target/org.apache.onami.logging.log4j-3.4.0-incubating-javadoc.jar
./log4j/target/org.apache.onami.logging.log4j-3.4.0-incubating-sources.jar
./log4j/target/org.apache.onami.logging.log4j-3.4.0-incubating.jar
./log4j2/target/org.apache.onami.logging.log4j2-3.4.0-incubating-javadoc.jar
./log4j2/target/org.apache.onami.logging.log4j2-3.4.0-incubating-sources.jar
./log4j2/target/org.apache.onami.logging.log4j2-3.4.0-incubating.jar
./slf4j/target/org.apache.onami.logging.slf4j-3.4.0-incubating-javadoc.jar
./slf4j/target/org.apache.onami.logging.slf4j-3.4.0-incubating-sources.jar
./slf4j/target/org.apache.onami.logging.slf4j-3.4.0-incubating.jar
./testframework/target/org.apache.onami.logging.testfw-3.4.0-incubating-javadoc.jar
./testframework/target/org.apache.onami.logging.testfw-3.4.0-incubating-sources.jar
./testframework/target/org.apache.onami.logging.testfw-3.4.0-incubating.jar

Do we have the chance you can reconsider your position and help us on
cutting the release?
Many thanks in advance, all the best!
-Simo

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.