Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com> on 2006/05/02 14:25:08 UTC

RE: Tapestry Presentations

I'd be interested too.  I'm planning on giving a talk to the Cincinnati Java
Users Group (www.cinjug.org) sometime soon, too.

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
Not bad ... Stuart Halloway has been working on a similar thing, that
allows him to build presentations around a code base with minimal
effort.

Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator and PMC Chair, Apache Tapestry
Creator, Jakarta HiveMind

Re: Tapestry Presentations

Posted by Warner Onstine <sw...@warneronstine.com>.
Excellent, let me know when you've got that checked in (I assume
it'll be in the Trails source tree).

-warner

Re: Tapestry Presentations

Posted by Chris Nelson <cn...@yahoo.com>.

Re: Tapestry Presentations

Posted by Warner Onstine <sw...@warneronstine.com>.

Re: Tapestry Presentations

Posted by David Solis <ds...@gmail.com>.

Re: Tapestry Presentations

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
Another great idea!

Re: Tapestry Presentations

Posted by Jesse Kuhnert <jk...@gmail.com>.
Aside from everything else we should all also remember that Howard makes his
living giving presentations / training / etc for Tapestry and that asking
for some contribution in this form from him might be asking a little too
much. (I make a living doing this now too, though the majority of work is
focused around dojo. )

That shouldn't stop people from developing and sharing content with each
other by any means though :)

On 5/2/06, Brian K. Wallace <br...@transmorphix.com> wrote:

> I see this sentiment a lot and (for once - on this topic) would like to
> express my opinion.
>
> I love the project that Howard started - and that Howard devotes (and
> has devoted over the years) to making Tapestry what it is today. I also
> acknowledge that having something written/taught/etc by "the creator" of
> said thing has merit.
>
> I do not, however, believe Tapestry now sits on Howard's shoulders
> without which it would come crashing down (if I believed that, I'd look
> at working on another project). I was actually amazed when Howard asked
> recently if a 4.0.2 went out, but it felt good to know that while he's
> off 'revolutionizing' in 5.0-land, we can actually keep it afloat and
> progressing in our 3.x/4.x realm without him.
>
> I'm not bashing anyone here - not Howard, not Tapestry - not even you,
> Steve ;-) (Sorry, Mark - I view the 'party line' as just humor... if it
> wasn't, then "not you, either Mark" :-)) Just saying that, in most ways,
> I'd look more to Jesse for more input on 'current' (4.x) Tapestry, and
> Howard for future (5.x) Tapestry - and then get the presentation
> produced and circulated back to  get the "yep, that's what I said" nod
> from the 'sources' (vs. the 'creator'). "Produced and circulated back?"
> Definitely. Learn by documenting - and don't slow down the 'sources'
> from moving forward (unless they just have extra time on their hands).
>
> I'd say "My .02"... but I think inflation reduced its actual value long
> ago...
>
> [and if you in any way thought this was meant in any 'derogatory'
> fashion, it wasn't. just thoughts on how to get things done without the
> ever-present "howard?"]
>
> Brian
>
> Steve Motola wrote:
> > It would be great if Howard himself produced something like this, but I
> doubt he
> > has the time.  Howard?
> >
> > Am I overstepping bounds in proposing this?  I am putting out feelers
> for
> > collaboration - projects that don't just involve code and are more
> towards the
> > marketing end of Tapestry that would be welcomed.  I was basically
> expanding on
> > the needs of James and Andreas that I too face.  We had to turn down a
> proposed
> > JUG meeting because of a project and work on Cognition and didn't have
> the time
> > to put something proper together - and got slammed for it.  It would
> have been
> > great to have some ready materials I could have used on the fly.
> >

> > Quoting Mark Stang <ms...@pingidentity.com>:
> >
> >> Shouldn't Howard provide us with the "Party Line" ;-).

Jesse Kuhnert
Tacos/Tapestry, team member/developer

dojo/tapestry/tacos/hivemind.

RE: Tapestry Presentations

Posted by Mark Stang <ms...@pingidentity.com>.
Actually, I was half-serious about the party line.  Having sat through Howards classes I know that he has developed some slides.  Also, he is doing the NFJS and I am sure he isn't doing 5.0, though I am sure he will mention it. Howard has complete classes that he gives and I wouldn't want to take away his bread and butter by publishing them.  Rather, I thought they would be an introduction to Tapestry.  What I was suggesting is what I think Brian is proposing, which is a  standardized starting point for a presentation.  I could give a couple of JUG talks here in Denver/Boulder.  So as Howard's acolytes:

ac·o·lyte Pronunciation (k-lt)
n.
1. One who assists the celebrant in the performance of liturgical rites.
2. A devoted follower or attendant.

I think we should all start off on the same foot.  I am currently wedded to 3.x and am using it in a very non-standard way.  So, I would be a bit reluctant to mis-inform people.

regards,

Mark

Re: Tapestry Presentations

Posted by "Brian K. Wallace" <br...@transmorphix.com>.