Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Mike Coakley <mc...@managedbusiness.com> on 2003/05/28 20:23:57 UTC

Jetspeed or Cocoon

Hello All,

I hope that I am not starting a holy war with my question but I am
wondering a few things about Jetspeed and Cocoon.

1. Where is the Cocoon portlet in Jetspeed and I've seen it referenced
as "Cocoon processed" and "Cocoon like". So I am not sure if it means
that Cocoon is providing functionality to Jetspeed or that Jetspeed has
implemented some Cocoon like functionality. Any ideas?

2. I really like Cocoon because of the XML and the transformations but
Jetspeed is well beyond Cocoon in portal type functionality (caching,
user-based customization, etc). Personally I feel that if Jetspeed can
integrate the Cocoon functionality (not implement the functionality) I
have no decision to make Jetspeed and Cocoon rock. Does anyone have any
comments (I'm sure people do) and suggestions.

I hope that through this discussion I find out that Cocoon integration
has/will/could be implemented in Jetspeed, this would be the ideal
world. It would also solve one of the TODO for Jetspeed (Email) since
Cocoon has implemented a web based email system already.

TIA,

Mike