Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Broming plutonium <zh...@yahoo.ca> on 2005/03/01 22:37:46 UTC

[users@httpd] Serving a Very Big File

Hi,
      I created a backup of my windows system yesterday. The backup file is 5 GB in size.
      Now, I've got to get this file off my hard disk and into another computer so that when my computer fails, I still have the backup file.
      I am thinking about using Apache to serve the 5-gigabyte file (4.25 to be exact) to someone in China (I live in Canada). Is it possible? I think the transfer will take at least 3 hours to complete. I want to make sure that Apache doesn't give any timeouts or anything like that during this period. I have played with my httpd.conf file, and made several adjustments. For example, I adjusted KeepAlive On, MaxKeepAliveRequests 0, and:

<IfModule mpm_winnt.c>
ThreadsPerChild 0
MaxRequestsPerChild  0
</IfModule>

Is there anything else I should change or adjust? Any suggestions? Thanks!

---------------------------------

Re: [users@httpd] Serving a Very Big File

Posted by "Ivan Barrera A." <Br...@Ivn.cl>.
The question is :

why http ? ftp is a more suitable protocol for that.

Posted by Ralf Glauberman <rg...@michaeli-gymnasium.de>.
This has nothing to do with keepalive.
your server should be ok as it is but the one geting the file should use a
download-manager that can resume downloads in case you loose the connection.
you should also create a md5 and verify the file once it is trancfered, you
want to be sure your backup is working, don't you?
you should also consider changing your backup-strategie, there should be an
easier way to save a 4.25 gb file than to transfer it from canada to china,
for example a dvd+r.
Ralf Glauberman