Posted to dev@kudu.apache.org by Mike Percy <mp...@apache.org> on 2016/06/01 18:29:09 UTC

Re: Change packaging from org.kududb to org.apache.kudu?

Yeah the typical thing to use is the subdomain (in this case
org.apache.kudu).

A few thoughts about package naming:

1. While using the apache subdomain for Java package names is encouraged,
and often the most obvious thing to do (i.e. when you're starting from
scratch), it's not required. If we don't do it then a few people will ask
why, and complain about it, and make a big deal out of it accusing the
project of some nefarious intent, but I think ultimately we wouldn't have
to change the package names since it's not a licensing issue.
2. If it's not too much effort to do it in a backwards-compatible way, it's
probably worth doing for (a) branding and (b) to avoid the distraction of
the above argument.
3. IMHO it would be preferable to get sign-off on the Apache Kudu name (
see https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PODLINGNAMESEARCH-93 ) before we
spend effort on something that we might have to change again later (imagine
having to maintain 2 sets of facade classes).

Mike

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (3980)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
+1 great work team

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Chief Architect
Office: 168-519, Mailstop: 168-527
Email: chris.a.mattmann@nasa.gov
WWW:  http://sunset.usc.edu/~mattmann/
Director, Information Retrieval and Data Science Group (IRDS)
WWW: http://irds.usc.edu/

Posted by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>.
I just pushed Dan's part 1 and 2 patches, so anyone who depends on the Java
client or who has outstanding patches will need to make some changes.

I'll add a release note.

J-D

Posted by Dan Burkert <da...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Mike Percy <mp...@apache.org>.

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Dan Burkert <da...@cloudera.com>.
Another option is to go ahead and break backwards compatibility, and if
anyone complains we can backport bug fixes for them to the 0.9.x release
branch.  My gut is that this will be way less work.

- Dan

Posted by Mike Percy <mp...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 11:29 AM, Mike Percy <mp...@apache.org> wrote:

> Yeah the typical thing to use is the subdomain (in this case
> org.apache.kudu).
>
> A few thoughts about package naming:
>
> 1. While using the apache subdomain for Java package names is encouraged,
> and often the most obvious thing to do (i.e. when you're starting from
> scratch), it's not required. If we don't do it then a few people will ask
> why, and complain about it, and make a big deal out of it accusing the
> project of some nefarious intent, but I think ultimately we wouldn't have
> to change the package names since it's not a licensing issue.
> 2. If it's not too much effort to do it in a backwards-compatible way, it's
> probably worth doing for (a) branding and (b) to avoid the distraction of
> the above argument.
> 3. IMHO it would be preferable to get sign-off on the Apache Kudu name (
> see https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PODLINGNAMESEARCH-93 ) before we
> spend effort on something that we might have to change again later (imagine
> having to maintain 2 sets of facade classes).

Oh yeah that one's a big deal, thanks for bringing this up!