Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by lars hofhansl <la...@apache.org> on 2014/04/02 06:31:32 UTC

protobuf version in 0.94

Is anybody aware of any reason why we wouldn't just update the protobuf version in 0.94 to 2.5.0?

I know 2.5.0 is backward compatible with 2.4.0, but is the reverse true as well?
I.e. if we do not change any .proto files will 2.4.0 be able to decoded message encoded with 2.5.0?
If yes, we should just upgrade. If not we can't upgrade since it would potentially break server-server compatibility and hence rolling upgrades.

-- Lars

Re: protobuf version in 0.94

Posted by Aditya <ad...@gmail.com>.
The protobuf Java stubs checked into the source tree are compiled with
2.4.x and are not binary compatible with 2.5 (and vice versa) so we would
need two versions of stubs.

The wire format, however, is compatible in either direction.

Re: protobuf version in 0.94

Posted by lars hofhansl <la...@apache.org>.
I didn't say that right.

Re: protobuf version in 0.94