Posted to dev@arrow.apache.org by Wes McKinney <we...@gmail.com> on 2017/10/03 16:36:55 UTC

Arrow sync call tomorrow 4 October @ 16:00 UTC

hi folks,

We will be having our biweekly call again tomorrow. All are welcome to
join; meeting notes will be published on the mailing list for further
discussion and transparency.

Can someone assist me with setting up a Google Meet call so that we
can accommodate more than 10 attendees (we maxed out on a normal
Google Hangout last time)?

Thank you
Wes

Re: Arrow sync call tomorrow 4 October @ 16:00 UTC

Posted by Wes McKinney <we...@gmail.com>.
Sorry for the delay on posting meeting notes. I didn't keep very
detailed notes but these are the topics that were mentioned:

Attendees

- Wes (Two Sigma)
  - 0.8.0 release planning
  - Release management issues
- Li Jin (Two Sigma)
  - ARROW-1463
  - Spark timestamp issues - ARROW-1425
    - What needs to be done as next step
- Phillip Cloud (Two Sigma)
  - Decimal read/write support in Parquet
- Bryan Cutler (IBM)
  - Spark timestamps
- Heimir Sverrisson (Mojotech)
  - Dockerizing documentation generation
- Jacques (Dremio)
  - Java PRs on memory optimization
  - ARROW-1463
  - RPC / GRPC
- Srinivas (Kognizant)

- Release management improvement
  - Wes to document pre-during-post release management process

- Java memory optimization patches from Dremio

- Buffer page id
  - Should remove to reduce struct size to 16 bytes from 24?
  - Will break metadata

- GRPC
  - Start discussion on mailing list
  - Zero copy in Java possible?

- Adding batch-level statistics to metadata
  - Enable faster scanning of batches, like Parquet

- Spark timestamps / time zones
  - Discussions / work still ongoing in Spark, semantics will need to be fully
    documented when things are settled (per ARROW-1425)

Posted by Li Jin <ic...@gmail.com>.
Ok I am in.

Posted by Li Jin <ic...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Siddharth Teotia <si...@dremio.com>.