Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Jason Grant <ju...@logular.com> on 2005/08/07 05:33:23 UTC

[m2] can a project's primary artifact be a zip?

I've written a project that uses the assembly plugin to produce a zip
file that ends up in the project's target area.  Other projects will
depend on this zip file, so I would like the zip to appear in the local
repository with an accompanying pom.  I'm not sure how to do this.  I've
tried using <packaging>zip</packaging>, however I'm guessing that this
is not supported, since I get the following error during the build:

  [ERROR] Nonexistent component:
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.mapping.LifecycleMappingzip
  [ERROR] No lifecycle mapping for type 'zip': using defaults

and looking at the m2 codebase, I'm assuming that a zip plugin would be
required to support this sort of thing (following the pattern of the
existing jar plugin).

Is there an existing 'out of the box' solution for this, or will I need
to write a plugin?

Thanks for any suggestions,

Jason.

PS: It may also be worth pointing out that the assembly plugin suffixes
the generated zip name with the id of the assembly, so I'll need to
cater for this naming convention.

Re: [m2] can a project's primary artifact be a zip?

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
If all it produces is a zip, then yes - a zip lifecycle mapping would
be needed. Perhaps the best thing to do is to allow the assembly
plugin to be used as a packaging and then configured as usual? Please
file this in JIRA if it is what you are after.

BTW, you can change the final name used by the assembly plugin by
changing it's finalName configuration.

Cheers,
Brett