Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Marc Hadfield <ma...@animarc.com> on 2006/01/05 03:39:13 UTC

span / position increment issue

hello all -

i have a problem with a SpanNearQuery returning incorrect (false
positive) results.

I am creating the context of a field using tokens which have position
increment set to either 1 or 0.  The position increment is set to 0 for
special tokens, in this case part-of-speech markers.
Thus, brackets set of position increments:

[The __pos_dt] [cow __pos_noun] [jumped __pos_verb] [over __pos_prep]
[the __pos_dt] [moon __pos_noun] [. __pos_.]

My Span Query looks like:
SpanQuery sq = new SpanNearQuery(new SpanQuery[]
                      {
                         new SpanTermQuery(new Term("content", "jumped")),

                        new SpanTermQuery(new Term("content", "__pos_verb"))

                    }, 0, false);

This correctly finds the span:  [jumped __pos_verb]

However, if I query:
SpanQuery sq = new SpanNearQuery(new SpanQuery[]
                      {
                         new SpanTermQuery(new Term("content", "jumped")),

                        new SpanTermQuery(new Term("content", "__pos_noun"))

                    }, 0, false);

This incorrectly finds the span:  [cow __pos_noun] [jumped __pos_verb]

This is wrong because there is a distance of 1 between the tokens, not 0.

I am using a recent version of Lucene from SVN.

I am thinking that the problem is related to the position increment
being set to 0 for the first token of the incorrect "match" -- thus
perhaps this is a bug in the SpanNearQuery?

Best,
Marc

Re: span / position increment issue

Posted by Paul Elschot <pa...@xs4all.nl>.
On Thursday 05 January 2006 19:33, Marc Hadfield wrote:

> Thanks Erik, Hoss -
>
> I will try MultiPhraseQuery and report back.
>
> Back in an email thread with Doug be mentioned SpanQuery would work, and
> in a fashion it does, but I can't differentiate between terms at the
> same position and contiguous positions.  The problem gets worse if I
> want to test for more than two terms at the same position ( moon / noun
> / end_of_sentence / ...), which opens it up to wider contiguous spaces.
>
> Would it make sense to extend SpanNearQuery for this case, perhaps with
> a slop of a special value (-1) to indicate terms should be found at the
> same position?  I'm not sure how difficult this would be to represent in
> the underlying queues keeping track of matches.

Fwiw, there is an alternative implementation of ordered NearSpans here:
The NearSpansOrdered there might actually work as needed for this case.

Spans are normally slower than Phrases, so I'd try the MultiPhraseQuery first.

Regards,
Paul Elschot

Posted by Marc Hadfield <ma...@animarc.com>.

Thanks Erik, Hoss -