Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Ozgur Balsoy <ba...@grids.ucs.indiana.edu> on 2002/02/12 01:51:13 UTC

Detecting the users' screen resolution

Is it possible to detect clients' screen resolution and obtain the
layout files appropriately?

Some of our users have screen resolutions at 640x480 and we have images
greater than that. What I want to do is to have different layouts for
different resolutions and browser types, i.e.

Psml/
	User/
		Xxx/
			Html/
			Wml/
			Netscape47/
			R640x480/

Is this doable with the current system? How much work do you anticipate
for such a work if not built-in?
Or someone already did it ;-)?

Thanks.
Ozgur

Re: Detecting the users' screen resolution

Posted by Paul Spencer <pa...@apache.org>.
Ozgur,

Ozgur Balsoy wrote:

> Is it possible to detect clients' screen resolution and obtain the
> layout files appropriately?

Unless you ask the user and maintain his answer, otherwise I a not aware
  of anything in the HTTP request the identifies the screen resolution.

> Some of our users have screen resolutions at 640x480 and we have images
> greater than that. What I want to do is to have different layouts for
> different resolutions and browser types, i.e.
>
> Psml/
> 	User/
> 		Xxx/
> 			Html/
> 			Wml/
> 			Netscape47/
> 			R640x480/
>
> Is this doable with the current system? How much work do you anticipate
> for such a work if not built-in?
> Or someone already did it ;-)?

Looks you want to add <media-types>. Although I know this can be done, I have not done one.

> Thanks.
> Ozgur

Paul Spencer