Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Fabbed <fa...@4gringos.com> on 2006/08/21 13:33:50 UTC

Fast testing of Tapestry Apps

Hi everybody,

i am relative new to Tapestry. I was wondering if there is a way of fast
testing my tapestry apps or do i always have to deploy my source code in the
tomcat servlet container before testing my app in the browser?
That takes so much time...

What i liked about JSP or for instance PHP is that you have your editor
open, you save your code, you presss alt+tab switch to your web browser,
press F5 and you see the results. How can i do that while developing in
Tapestry?

Thanks for any advice.

Re: Fast testing of Tapestry Apps

Posted by Josh Long <st...@gmail.com>.
OooOOoH! I feel like I may be too late, but maven 2 + jetty + tapestry
4 makes for more fun than you can shake a stick at!

No kidding, setup a maven web project project. Now youve removed
everything except for the java language and compilation. We lke the
java language, but compilation...

Then, setup the jetty6 plugin. No more compilation. Drives like a
ferarri. No eject button in this model. You write java code and run
mvn compile and the app is reloaded. If you modify a tapestry template
the template change is visible immediately.

Theres a fair amount between here and there but Ill be happy to help
in anyway I can -- you need only message me off list.

The relevant plugin config is:
<plugins>
          <plugin>
                <groupId>org.mortbay.jetty</groupId>
                <artifactId>maven-jetty6-plugin</artifactId>
                <version>6.0.0beta17</version>
                <configuration>

                    <scanTargets>
                    <scanTarget>src/main/resources/</scanTarget>
                    </scanTargets>
                <!-- u wont need this unless youre develping on windows -->

<webDefaultXml>src/main/resources/webdefault.xml</webDefaultXml>

                    <systemProperties>

                        <systemProperty>
                            <name>net.sf.ehcache.disabled</name>
                            <value>true</value>
                        </systemProperty>

                        <systemProperty>
                            <name>org.apache.tapestry.disable-caching</name>
                            <value>false</value>

                        </systemProperty>

                    </systemProperties>

                    <scanIntervalSeconds>10</scanIntervalSeconds>
                </configuration>

            </plugin>
        </plugins>

Umm, ok, hope your search goes well.

Josh

Posted by Marcus <mv...@gmail.com>.
try

Posted by Norbert Sándor <de...@erinors.com>.
Tomcat can be started/stopped from Eclipse as well...

Posted by Dan Adams <da...@ifactory.com>.

--
Dan Adams
Senior Software Engineer

Re: Fast testing of Tapestry Apps

Posted by Jesse Kuhnert <jk...@gmail.com>.
Yes.

Jetty 0wnz y0r s3vl3tz. ;)

On 8/26/06, Borut Bolčina <bo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> here is how I do it
>
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/maven-users/200608.mbox/%3c44D0CCC4.5000402@najdi.si%3e
>
> Cheers,
> Borut
>
> 2006/8/21, Fabbed <fa...@4gringos.com>:
> >

> > Hi everybody,
> >
> > i am relative new to Tapestry. I was wondering if there is a way of fast
> > testing my tapestry apps or do i always have to deploy my source code in
> > the
> > tomcat servlet container before testing my app in the browser?
> > That takes so much time...
> >
> > What i liked about JSP or for instance PHP is that you have your editor
> > open, you save your code, you presss alt+tab switch to your web browser,
> > press F5 and you see the results. How can i do that while developing in
> > Tapestry?
> >
> > Thanks for any advice.
> > --

Jesse Kuhnert
Tapestry/Dojo/(and a dash of TestNG), team member/developer

Re: Fast testing of Tapestry Apps

Posted by Borut Bolčina <bo...@gmail.com>.
Hello,