Posted to log4net-user@logging.apache.org by Ron Grabowski <ro...@yahoo.com> on 2006/06/23 02:06:15 UTC

Ideas for Log4net presentation

Does anyone have topics they would enjoy seeing in a log4net
presentation (spoken presentation with slides and code walk-though)?
Some ideas:

- What do you find confusing about log4net?
- What things were hard to figure out when you first started using
log4net?
- What things are still hard to figure out when using log4net?
etc.

Does anyone have slides about log4net that are available on-line?

Thanks,
Ron

RE: Ideas for Log4net presentation

Posted by Erich Eichinger <E....@diamonddogs.cc>.
Hi all,

Here's my experiences with log4net:

> - What things were hard to figure out when you first started using log4net?

I remember, that 2 things were quite confusing when I started using log4net (and NET at all):
- when & how to initialize log4net
- understanding logger additivity (although I cant' remember why)

> - What things are still hard to figure out when using log4net?

I still don't know, how to find errors in log4net's configuration in a webapplication. how do i make LogLog log to a file?
As Duncan wrote in his previous mail: It's hard to find a good & useful logging-strategy. At least I came up with a Log.Fatal() at each "Exit"-point of an application and configure an Smtp-Appender, that triggers on Fatal-Level. But I'm still searching for better strategies "in between".

> - What do you find confusing about log4net?

I'm still wondering, what "Domains" are really for and how to effectively use them.

br,
Erich