Posted to dev@felix.apache.org by Justin Edelson <ju...@gmail.com> on 2010/04/22 18:18:10 UTC

maven-scr-plugin doesn't create metatype for service.ranking

According to
http://felix.apache.org/site/apache-felix-maven-scr-plugin.html (and in
real life), maven-scr-plugin doesn't generate metatype information for
the service.ranking property. Glancing through the Metatype, DS, and
ConfigAdmin specs, I don't see a reason for this prohibition. Am I
missing something?

Thanks,
Justin

Re: maven-scr-plugin doesn't create metatype for service.ranking

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Felix Meschberger  wrote
> Hi,
>
> On 22.04.2010 23:36, Justin Edelson wrote:
>> On Apr 22, 2010, at 5:16 PM, Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,

>>> No, unfortunately not. This is a plain bug.
>>>
>>> Yet, (re FELIX-2300 [1]) I would even go a step further and not treat
>>> service.ranking specially and let it be treated just like any other
>>> property, thus "public" by default.
>>
>> That's not backwards compatible.
>
> That's my only "fear", yes. Is it problematic ? Other than a missing
> label and description for the GUI (which arguably is not nice) ? On the
> other hand, this might come as unexpected to the initial developer who
> thought the property would be private and now is not any more ...
>
> Maybe it is better to default it to private, then.

Yepp, I agree - I'll have a look at the issue.

Carsten

--
Carsten Ziegeler
cziegeler@apache.org

Re: maven-scr-plugin doesn't create metatype for service.ranking

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On 22.04.2010 23:36, Justin Edelson wrote:
> On Apr 22, 2010, at 5:16 PM, Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 22.04.2010 18:18, Justin Edelson wrote:
>>> According to
>>> http://felix.apache.org/site/apache-felix-maven-scr-plugin.html
>>> (and in
>>> real life), maven-scr-plugin doesn't generate metatype information
>>> for
>>> the service.ranking property. Glancing through the Metatype, DS, and
>>> ConfigAdmin specs, I don't see a reason for this prohibition. Am I
>>> missing something?
>>
>> No, unfortunately not. This is a plain bug.
>>
>> Yet, (re FELIX-2300 [1]) I would even go a step further and not treat
>> service.ranking specially and let it be treated just like any other
>> property, thus "public" by default.
>
> That's not backwards compatible.

That's my only "fear", yes. Is it problematic ? Other than a missing
label and description for the GUI (which arguably is not nice) ? On the
other hand, this might come as unexpected to the initial developer who
thought the property would be private and now is not any more ...

Maybe it is better to default it to private, then.

Regards
Felix

Posted by Justin Edelson <ju...@gmail.com>.
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 22.04.2010 18:18, Justin Edelson wrote:
>> According to
>> http://felix.apache.org/site/apache-felix-maven-scr-plugin.html
>> (and in
>> real life), maven-scr-plugin doesn't generate metatype information
>> for
>> the service.ranking property. Glancing through the Metatype, DS, and
>> ConfigAdmin specs, I don't see a reason for this prohibition. Am I
>> missing something?
>
> No, unfortunately not. This is a plain bug.
>
> Yet, (re FELIX-2300 [1]) I would even go a step further and not treat
> service.ranking specially and let it be treated just like any other
> property, thus "public" by default.

That's not backwards compatible. It's an even easier change that way.

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,