Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com> on 2012/07/17 20:04:17 UTC

On parks, commons, and websites

Since I'm still not satisfied that people have understood
the point I've tried to make about the CMS and website management,
let me couch it in a more familiar analogy so you can better
understand where I'm coming from and why I do what I do.

Imagine your website as if it were a giant park that various
citizens of the planet come to observe, visit and participate
in.   What would you do if by chance you were a park visitor
and noticed that some other citizen had left behind a little
bit of trash in the park?

A lot of average citizens would say to themselves "Hey, I'm just
a visitor here, it's not my problem" and go on with their
activities ignoring the trash.

A more concerned citizen might say to themselves, "hey, someone
should do something about that trash.  Lemme go ask the park ranger
to clean it up."  Eventually the park ranger might do something
about it, but a more enlightened ranger might say to the camper
"I've gone ahead and put out trash receptacles in lots of convenient
locations.  Is it possible for you to take care of this yourself?
I'm quite busy tending to other areas of the park, including other parks.
Thanks.  I'll put up more signs explaining to visitors the importance
of cleaning up after themselves."

Some citizens might react badly to the park ranger's response, and
go away pissed off and ignoring the trash.  They might then complain
to other citizens that the park is being badly managed and should get
more help.

Other citizens might see the trash but instead of tackling the problem
themselves, ask another park visitor to clean it up.  Not a bad thing
to do, but a little bit imposing on the other visitors of the park.
Those people might wonder about why the original citizen did not clean
up the trash themselves, but occasionally you come across citizens
who are happy to just honor the unusual request without issue.

Other citizens, those acting with enlightened self-interest, will
react differently to the park ranger's advice.  They realize the trash
problem is a social problem for citizens to solve, not something a park
ranger is equipped to deal with.  They will work alongside the park
ranger to post advertisements about civic responsibility, conduct community
awareness meetings to teach others about how to deal with trash, etc.
And most importantly, they will pick up whatever trash they are made
aware of without fuss.  Citizens like this are often recognized by the park
itself as friends, stewards, and volunteers of the park, and given membership
in the entire park system's oversight and governance.

Re: On parks, commons, and websites

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.
Well not quite.  I view the paid infra staff
as the people who "manage the park".  Ie the
hardware and software that provides it, not
the community of visitors who exercise the
physical resources to create intellectual
assets (ie the commons).

HTH

Re: On parks, commons, and websites... and fun (or lack of)

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.
Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 16:17:28 -0700
"Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org> wrote:

> The following text is boilerplate on the model that is sent to all who are invited to be committers on AOOi.  It is derived from a model document that is to be found on the Apache site:
>
>     Hello <invitee>,
>
>     The Apache OpenOffice Podling Project Management Committee (PPMC)
>     hereby offers you committer rights to the project ... .
>
>     Being a committer enables you to more easily make changes without
>     needing to go through the patch submission process.  This applies
>     not only to the code base but other project areas, such as the
>     web sites.  ...
>
>     Being a committer does not require you to participate any more
>     than you already do.  It does tend to make one even more committed.
>     You will probably find that you spend more time here.
>
> That same text was in the invitation that Hagar received from the PPMC on 2012-03-04.
>
> This is my sole contribution to this thread.  I am disappointed that Hagar left the PPMC.
>
>  - Dennis

Many of you do not realise that the boiler plate quoted is _permissive_ not _compulsory_.  There is no obligation on any committer to advance his involvement with the project more than his circumstances enable him to offer.  This argument arose because Hagar was unfairly and ungraciously told that he should do just that.  The much vaunted "Apache Way" seems to be subject to very selective interpretation!

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

RE: On parks, commons, and websites... and fun (or lack of)

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 14:20:02 -0700 (PDT)
Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> If Hagar has a debilitating illness that prevents him from
> acquiring the requisite skills, let me apologize for asking
> him to try to do something a normal person on this mailing
> list can accomplish for themselves.
>
> That's the best you're going to get Larry.

It is unfair to require a volunteer to change his level of committment, or to suggest that he might need (I quote) "a debilitating illness that prevents him from acquiring the requisite skills."  If he has not the time or the inclination to extend his role, that is sufficient.
--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: On parks, commons, and websites... and fun (or lack of)

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Larry Gusaas <la...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
Please, everyone.  Let's not pile on this thread with more name
calling, etc., in the heat of the moment.

Let's set it aside and see tomorrow if there is anything more that
should be said.  We accomplish nothing with rapid-fire, emotional

Thanks!

-Rob

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 5:12 PM, Larry Gusaas <la...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2012-07-17 3:01 PM Joe Schaefer wrote:
>>
>> Larry,
>>
>> I trust you reserve this behavior for this mailing list and
>> do not subject forum participants to the pack-animal behavior
>> you've been exhibiting here lately.  The biggest concern I have
>> here with forum participants on this list is how their behavior
>> here translates to their conduct in the forums- I hope we would
>> havegotten wind of it by now if this were commonplace over there.
>> Hagar was brought in to help ensure PPMC oversight over that activity;
>> if he steps down I'm not sure who should replace him.
>

> I reserve this behaviour for people like you who make insulting and
> demeaning comments and fail to see or acknowledge how insulting their
> comments are.
>
> Hagar's stepping down is solely your responsibility. As a mentor you should
> be aware of how insulting your comments to Hagar were. You owe Hagar an
> apology.
>
> As far as behaviour, yours is despicable. I am glad you are not active on a
> forum,.

Larry, I must remind you of our list conduct guidelines, specifically
numbers 1, 3, 4 & 5:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/%28Draft%29List+Conduct+Policy

-Rob

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.
Larry,

How do you think someone should be treated who preferred to file
AOO bug reports to the forums instead of to the issue tracker?
Would you encourage that sort of behavior, ignore it, or say
something to them about it?

All I'm saying is that the CMS is the analog to website bugs
as to what bugzilla is to code bugs.  The typical website bug
should be "reported" by fixing it through the CMS, and it makes
just as much sense for people to opt out of using the CMS as
it does for people to opt out of using bugzilla for code bugs.

HTH

Posted by Larry Gusaas <la...@gmail.com>.

--
_________________________________

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.
Larry,

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 14:54:29 -0600
Larry Gusaas <la...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2012-07-17 2:38 PM Joe Schaefer wrote:
> >> ________________________________

I agree with Larry Gusaas.  It is important to remember that many of the participants to this and other projects have real lives with concommitant duties and responsibilities, which we may not wish to divulge publicly.  We give freely of our time, as permitted by those requirements; for some (many) things we have not the spare time or leisure to devote, as in this case learning how to edit a Wiki or a web page and/or making corrections to it.

You say "I have challenged you to increase your level of contribution to this project to match the expectations of the other participants and committers on this mailing list"; this is utter arrogance.  You and other contributors to this list have no knowledge of Hagar's responsibilities, or of mine or of most other participants and are not entitled to demand that he do more, simply because you think he ought.

You are perhaps not aware of the full level of Hagar's contribution to one aspect of OpenOffice, the running of the Forum. The Forum takes some hundred a day postings off your lists, in terms of actual queries posted, and some several hundred (perhaps more) per day which are answered by users accessing its knowledge base, which if that were not there could materialise as extra queries posted to your lists.  If the Forum collapses, your lists will become unworkable!  All you, and all other contributors, are entitled to expect is that we deal honestly and fairly with you, reading nothing beyond that into our words and requiring nothing beyond that; part of that honesty is to say "I have not this or that ability, or the time/inclination to learn it."

If someone points to a flaw, in whatever, and indicates that he has not the time or knowledge or inclination to fix it, then that flaw and fix become fair game for anyone else to fix, and that is as it should be.

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: On parks, commons, and websites... and fun (or lack of)

Posted by Larry Gusaas <la...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.
Posted by RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com>.
2012/7/17 Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>:

> I haven't attacked you not a single time; I'm not bashing you either.  I have
> challenged you to increase your level of contribution to this project to match
> the expectations of the other participants and committers on this mailing list.

It seems you are completely ignoring who Hagar is and his contribution
to the project as a whole. Sure, he did not contribute code nor web
content but he is one of the greatest contributors to the user forums:
Maybe this means nothing for you but remember that AOO is an end user
system so being a leading force on user support is REALLY important
for the project.

> Having said no there's no penalty to pay- nobody's going to strip your karma
> for not trying.  The worst thing that will likely happen to you are the usual
> social consequences of not meeting the expectations of many of your peers, which
> may not bother you either.

He meets the expectations of all its peers on the forums.

 Different strokes for different folks- there is no
> need for further drama here.

Indeed...

Re: On parks, commons, and websites... and fun (or lack of)

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.
Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 10:31 AM, Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com> wrote:

The failure here, IMHO, is that we're not thinking broadly enough to
accept two assertions simultaneously:

1) That Joe is right in pushing for more people, especially AOO
committers, to help maintain the website

and

2) Hagar is right in believing that he is a volunteer and can do as
much or as little as he pleases

or

A) Someone reporting a website defect does some good for the project,
even if they don't take the extra step of fixing the defect themselves

and

B) Someone encouraging others to use the CMS to fix website defects
themselves is doing good for the project, even if occasionally there
are some who do not want to use the CMS

Both statements are true.  They are not in conflict.  If we
acknowledge both as true, I don't see the remaining issue.

-Rob

Re: On parks, commons, and websites... and fun (or lack of)

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
I know that as a Mentor (only for Flex) my responsibility is to guide the community to sustainability. Most of the time I am quiet, respond when needed and let the project make its own decisions.

Note that Christian, an original Mentor, recently asked about graduation.

I won't speculate on why the other mentors have been quiet on this thread. Every reason is different.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Hagar Delest wrote:
> You've taken the fun out of it. ...
> As a consequence, I resign from my PPMC role and will unsubscribe the
> dev & private mailing lists right now.

It's a very sad (hopefully temporary) consequence.

It proves that the OpenOffice project is not mature yet: it can still
happen that one person's (well-meant) behavior can force a valuable
contributor out of this project without this contributor having done
anything against the project.

This community must become stronger and more welcoming: we've improved a
lot in handling localization volunteers recently, and further
improvements will come naturally. But we can't afford to lose community
volunteers this way.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: On parks, commons, and websites... and fun (or lack of)

Posted by Hagar Delest <ha...@laposte.net>.
Let's be clear: I don't have the desire to take the effort to do such thing.
I volunteer to this project on my free time because I like it. But the deal is that I've to like it. I give my time to help users because I find some fun in it.
So I won't engage in things that bore me. If you can't understand this simple fact, there is no point discussing further.

If I had not the committer status, would you have asked me to do it myself too? I think not. And again, I'm a committer only because I accepted to report for the forums on the blog (meaning a new account to handle, a new tool and a new responsibility). Which is something that I don't greatly enjoy.

I accepted the ASF invitation to get more involved in AOO because I thought there would be some interesting development for the future of AOO and it could be fun to contribute to it. But if it means being bashed like that (thinking it would be a good thing to report a problem), then no way. You've taken the fun out of it.

As a consequence, I resign from my PPMC role and will unsubscribe the dev & private mailing lists right now. Please close my Roller account too (something I can't JFDI I guess).

Good luck to the developers.

Hagar

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 3:06 PM, Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> What specific skill do you think is required that
> the average citizen who participates on this mailing
> list does not already possess?  Perhaps the receptacle
> system is foreign to you personally, but other members of
> this communityhave documented how they work. There's
> even tutorials running about here and there about how
> to deal with trash on the site.  All anyone expects
> someone like you is to make an effort to apply the pre-written
> documentationto your own circumstances.  I have little doubt
> the forumswork in the same way.  If you are having trouble
> locating the documentation that's something we can all
> work on together.
>

> Fixing a busted link on a website is a trash cleanup
> activity.  If you are unsure whether or not it is
>
> a change others will agree with then opening a discussion
> about it is fine.  However, website changes are CTR and
> expecting other citizens to take the result of an RTC
> conversation and clean up the trash on your behalf is not
> exactly enlightened self-interest at work.  I've personally
> witnessed individuals with severe mental and physical disabilities
> follow the same instructions with success that I am expecting
> you to follow in the future.  As others have witnessed to you,
> your peers who have tried for themselves have not found the process
> intellectually challenging enough to file formal complaints with
> infra or with this project.
>

> You can do this. Everyone on this list can do this.  All I'm
> challenging people to do is to make an effort, I don't think I'm
> expecting a miracle.

I'd put it like this:  the website is there to support *all* functions
and roles in the project, from dev, qa, translation, marketing, ui,
even support.  The CMS is designed to be usable by everyone.  All
project members should be encouraged to learn how to use the CMS, and
to avail themselves of "self-service" when needing website changes.
The website is too large for editing to be filtered through a small
number of volunteers.  We need everyone to feel empowered, both
technically, as we as process-wise, to make any needed changes.

That said, we have a lot of people who signed up for this project that
are doing absolutely nothing.  So I don't think we should beat up on a
volunteer who is doing something (reporting an issue) just because he
could be doing more (fixing the issue).  Reporting a bug is far better
than nothing.  If we had more people doing that it would be progress.
Of course, more people fixing website bugs is even more progress.  But
one step at a time.  But I do agree that using the CMS should be an
"essential skill", like using Bugzilla or the Wiki, that everyone in
the project should try get comfortable with.

-Rob

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Hagar Delest <ha...@laposte.net>.