Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Jim Adams <ja...@gmail.com> on 2009/03/27 19:43:32 UTC

Question about Solr memory usage.

I'm running an old version of Solr -- it's 1.2, and I'm about to upgrade to
1.3.  But I have a question about Solr 1.2 memory usage.

I am occasionally seeing out of memory errors in my Solr log.

Doesn't Solr release memory after a document has been indexed ?   I would
not think it is right for the memory usage to climb to its max specified in
java options then give out of memory errors...

Any thoughts you have are appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: Question about Solr memory usage.

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 12:13 AM, Jim Adams <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm running an old version of Solr -- it's 1.2, and I'm about to upgrade to
> 1.3.  But I have a question about Solr 1.2 memory usage.
>
> I am occasionally seeing out of memory errors in my Solr log.
>
> Doesn't Solr release memory after a document has been indexed ?   I would
> not think it is right for the memory usage to climb to its max specified in
> java options then give out of memory errors...

It does. But then there's the caches and auto-warming (after commits). A lot
of that stuff can be tweaked though.

There are a lot of old mail threads on memory usage and optimization which
you may find useful. Use a mailing list search engine like
lucidimagination.com, markmail or nabble.

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.