Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com> on 2005/04/18 23:39:36 UTC

JSF 1.2 and TCK

With the 1.2 spec nearing finalization what are the plans for TCK?
Would we try to certify MyFaces against 1.1 or 1.2?  If we are going
for 1.2 that is a ways off but on the other hand, we could start
thinking about implementing some of the stuff in 1.2 that is also
going to be implemented in the RI version.

Re: JSF 1.2 and TCK

Posted by Manfred Geiler <ma...@gmail.com>.
If you can manage to add this feature by only deriving and extending some
special classes I do not see a problem. Place your additions into the
"components and extensions" src tree. This way there will be no interfere
with the standard 1.1 implementation and we could easily migrate this code
into JSF 1.2 code later.
-Manfred

Re: JSF 1.2 and TCK

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@gmail.com>.
On 4/19/05, Matthias Wessendorf <mw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Craig,
>
> since you are/were developer of Tomcat, do you know any roadmap plans
> on a tomcat that supports JSP2.1 ?

I'm afraid "were" is the operative term here ... and no, I don't know
what the Tomcat team's plans are with regards to JSP 2.1.

> -mw-

Craig

Re: JSF 1.2 and TCK

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.
Yes I would be interested to know what the plans were for that too.
Also is the JSP 2.1 spec on the same "track" as the JSF spec?  I know
that they will both be part of the new J2EE spec eventually.

sean

Re: JSF 1.2 and TCK

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <mw...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ed-

> I'd love to see you guys start looking at 1.2, but you'll have to prod
> the tomcat people to implement JSP 2.1.  In the meantime, you can get
> working on JSF 1.2 using facelets and the el impl from glassfish.

yes, but currently (AFAIK) there is no decision rearding CDDL and
Apache 2.0 stuff. But that will follow...;)

> Also, why don't I see a big splash about you guys on TSS?

We are about to prepare a "bin" version, TCK passed version is only
available via nightly builds ;)

-Matthias

--
Matthias Wessendorf
Zülpicher Wall 12, 239

Re: JSF 1.2 and TCK

Posted by Bruno Aranda <br...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Adam, the laurels are good indeed, but there is also bugs ;-)
Come on myfacers, there is a beautiful list of bugs to beat where
everybody is invited! Don't be afraid to check the JIRA and provide
patches! If you see one that is not assigned you can work on it! This
will make myfaces stronger :-)

Thanks for your contributions,

Bruno

Re: JSF 1.2 and TCK

Posted by Adam Winer <aw...@gmail.com>.

Re: JSF 1.2 and TCK

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.
> Also, why don't I see a big splash about you guys on TSS?

We're holding off on the formal announcement unti we get a official
release build retested and then propogated to the mirrors, etc.
Announcement should come Monday.

> Ed

sean

Re: JSF 1.2 and TCK

Posted by Ed Burns <ed...@sun.com>.
Congrats on passing the TCK!  I agree with what Craig said, it's good
for the customers to have multiple implementations to choose from.

Re: JSF 1.2 and TCK

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <mw...@gmail.com>.
Craig,

Re: JSF 1.2 and TCK

Posted by Ed Burns <ed...@sun.com>.

SS> What about the 1.2 changes that do not conflict with 1.1?  For
SS> example, encryption of the client-side state.  Does it make sense to
SS> implement those features now as long as they don't interfere with the
SS> 1.1 TCK?  That one in particular I have been thinking about for a
SS> while so I was glad to see it added to the spec.

Yes, you can add it right now.  In fact, as mentioned in my blog [1]
the public Sun JSF RI is using that approach because the JSP 2.1
container isn't publically available yet.

Ed

[1] http://weblogs.java.net/blog/edburns/archive/2005/04/javaserver_face_1.html

Re: JSF 1.2 and TCK

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: JSF 1.2 and TCK

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@gmail.com>.
On 4/18/05, Matthias Wessendorf <mw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, some main features of 1.2 depend on JSP 2.1
>
> so, it is better to have TCK against 1.1
>
> Craig, are you familar with TCK? Or is Geir the man we need ?

Well, my JSF code (the RI) had to pass the TCK.  Does that count as
"familiar"?  :-)

But, in terms of acquiring the rights for Apache to have access to the
TCK for 1.1, Geir is definitely the right starting point (that's
process stuff, not technical stuff).  I can assist on any
communications roadblocks within Sun, however.

> -mw-

Craig

Re: JSF 1.2 and TCK

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <mw...@gmail.com>.