Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by William Bug <wb...@drexel.edu> on 2004/10/09 20:20:45 UTC

auto authentication frustration

Hi All,

Thanks to all for your many helpful posts.

I've searched the list, however, as well as the Subversion RedBook and
the FAQ, but can't find a solution to my problem.

I'm using the svn+ssh protocol to access a remote Subversion repository.

Using the wonderful ssh-agent GUI wrapper for Mac OS X SSHKeychain, I
need not enter my passphrase everytime I ssh into the remote host.

Unfortunately, despite using the default .subversion/config setting to
cache my authentication, I neither find any authentication info stored
at ~/.subversion/auth/svn.simple svn.ssl.server or svn.username, nor
can I access the remote SVN repository without entering the password
that goes with my user on the remote machine.

I found a post here mentioning when using the svn+ssh protocol, I
should not expect to find cached auth files, since with this protocol
the client-side authentication is all handled by ssh.

Why do I still need to enter my password once the ssh tunnel to the
remote machine is activated?  Since this protocol essentially runs
'svnserve -t' on the remote machine, does this means I need to cache my
svn authentication in my remote user's ~/.subversion/auth directory?

I greatly appreciate any info you have to offer that can clear up my
ignorance.  I'm troubleshooting this auth-caching for a large group of
about a dozen people who I'd like to move to SVN, but they aren't happy
about all the authenticating they need to do even when running over an
encrypted pipe.

Many thanks for any help you have to offer.

Cheers,
Bill

Bill Bug
Senior Analyst/Ontological Engineer

Department of Neurobiology & Anatomy
Drexel University College of Medicine
2900 Queen Lane
Philadelphia, PA	19129
215 991 8430 (ph)

Re: auto authentication frustration

Posted by Seth Falcon <sf...@fhcrc.org>.
It sounds like the ssh connection from svn is not finding your agent.

Update and Commit Both Fail. MKCOL 405 Error

Posted by m christensen <df...@xmission.com>.
I have a user with a commit that is failing:

Here are the details I've been able to gather by word of mouth.
My system will not reproduce the problem.

He added a directory and when he tried to commit the change he got an
error to the effect...

MKCOL   "Path to a file and directory containing a honking
Cookie-looking HEX string"  405 Method Not Allowed

User Figures Local working copy is hosed.
User Moves Directory off to a safe place, deletes it from the working
copy and tries an update
with the assumption this may clean up working copy and he can then copy
the files back and do the update.

This Yields an "Already Scheduled for Addition" error when it tries to
build the directory in question.

The Repository is 1.0 and  TortoiseSVN 1.0.3 Build 968

What's going on here?

Marc

Re: auto authentication frustration

Posted by Tobias Ringström <to...@ringstrom.mine.nu>.
William Bug wrote:

> I found a post here mentioning when using the svn+ssh protocol, I
> should not expect to find cached auth files, since with this protocol
> the client-side authentication is all handled by ssh.

Yes, it's an ssh issue. It has nothing to do with Subversion.

> Why do I still need to enter my password once the ssh tunnel to the
> remote machine is activated?  Since this protocol essentially runs
> 'svnserve -t' on the remote machine, does this means I need to cache
> my svn authentication in my remote user's ~/.subversion/auth directory?

An update needs two RA sessions which results in two ssh connections.
That's the reason you have to enter the password twice. I don't think
your ssh-agent is working.

/Tobias