Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Jeff Barrett <JB...@sawyermedia.com> on 2004/02/11 00:20:05 UTC

running a webapp reload breaks happyaxis.jsp

I've got tomcat 4.1.27, jdk1.3.1_09, axis 1.1 final running on a win2k machine with the sample axis webapp installed in %CATALINA_HOME%\webapps.  I can start up catalina just fine and hit happyaxis.jsp with no probs.  If I then go to tomcat's webapp manager and reload the app, returning to that same happyaxis.jsp gives me errors at it's inability to find certain jars.

Specifically it can't find the jars located under %CATALINA_HOME%\webapps\axis\lib.  According to the happyaxis.jsp page, jars containing java.* and javax.* packages need to be in %CATALINA_HOME%\common, which they are.  The things happyaxis.jsp can't find are: axis, commons-discovery, log4j, wsdl4j.

Any ideas?

PS - As an interesting side note, this behavior does not occur if I run stop, followed by start in the manager.  Unfortunately this doesn't cut it for me.  According to some tests I ran, it doesn't look like stop/start successfully unloads the webapp classloader.

PPS - The relavent before and after output from happyaxis.jsp is below.

Before:

Needed Components
Found SAAJ API (javax.xml.soap.SOAPMessage) at C:\tomcat4.1\common\lib\saaj-1.1.jar
Found JAX-RPC API (javax.xml.rpc.Service) at C:\tomcat4.1\common\lib\jaxrpc-1.0.jar
Found Apache-Axis (org.apache.axis.transport.http.AxisServlet) at C:\tomcat4.1\webapps\axis\WEB-INF\lib\axis.jar
Found Jakarta-Commons Discovery (org.apache.commons.discovery.Resource) at C:\tomcat4.1\webapps\axis\WEB-INF\lib\commons-discovery.jar
Found Jakarta-Commons Logging (org.apache.commons.logging.Log) at C:\tomcat4.1\webapps\axis\WEB-INF\lib\commons-logging.jar
Found IBM's WSDL4Java (com.ibm.wsdl.factory.WSDLFactoryImpl) at C:\tomcat4.1\webapps\axis\WEB-INF\lib\wsdl4j.jar
Found JAXP implementation (javax.xml.parsers.SAXParserFactory) at C:\tomcat4.1\common\endorsed\xmlParserAPIs.jar
Found Activation API (javax.activation.DataHandler) at C:\tomcat4.1\common\lib\activation.jar

Optional Components
Found Mail API (javax.mail.internet.MimeMessage) at C:\tomcat4.1\common\lib\mail.jar

After:

Needed Components
Found SAAJ API (javax.xml.soap.SOAPMessage) at C:\tomcat4.1\common\lib\saaj-1.1.jar
Found JAX-RPC API (javax.xml.rpc.Service) at C:\tomcat4.1\common\lib\jaxrpc-1.0.jar

Error: could not find class org.apache.axis.transport.http.AxisServlet from file axis.jar
Axis will not work
See http://xml.apache.org/axis/

Error: could not find class org.apache.commons.discovery.Resource from file commons-discovery.jar
Axis will not work
See http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/discovery.html

Found Jakarta-Commons Logging (org.apache.commons.logging.Log) at C:\tomcat4.1\common\lib\commons-logging-api.jar

Error: could not find class org.apache.log4j.Layout from file log4j-1.2.4.jar
Axis may not work
See http://jakarta.apache.org/log4j

Error: could not find class com.ibm.wsdl.factory.WSDLFactoryImpl from file wsdl4j.jar
Axis will not work

Found JAXP implementation (javax.xml.parsers.SAXParserFactory) at C:\tomcat4.1\common\endorsed\xmlParserAPIs.jar
Found Activation API (javax.activation.DataHandler) at C:\tomcat4.1\common\lib\activation.jar

Optional Components
Found Mail API (javax.mail.internet.MimeMessage) at C:\tomcat4.1\common\lib\mail.jar

The information in this email and subsequent attachments may contain confidential information that is intended solely for the attention and use of the named addressee(s). This message or any part thereof must not be disclosed, copied, distributed, or retained by any person without the authorization from the addressee.