Posted to dev@spamassassin.apache.org by Justin Mason <jm...@jmason.org> on 2004/09/07 23:17:40 UTC

Re: new tool for website -- versioned configuration reference

Re: new tool for website -- versioned configuration reference

Posted by Daniel Quinlan <qu...@pathname.com>.
Justin Mason <jm...@jmason.org> writes:

> what, like what's already there?
>
>     http://spamassassin.apache.org/doc.html

Not at all.

| The POD documentation: (WARNING: for the latest development version!)
| [etc.]

That's all wrong.  There should NEVER EVER be a non-versioned
documentation link.  Listing either latest development or latest stable
is very very wrong.

  http://spamassassin.apache.org/doc/Mail_SpamAssassin_Plugin_Hashcash.html

That page should not exist unless the only thing on that page is a
dialog that looks like this:

  [SpamAssassin 2.64]
  [SpamAssassin 3.0.0]
  [SpamAssassin 3.0.1]
  [older releases]

and nothing more.

The top documentation page should just have this:

  Select your version of SpamAssassin:

    [SpamAssassin 2.64]
    [SpamAssassin 3.0.0]
    [SpamAssassin 3.0.1]

  etc.

Daniel

--
Daniel Quinlan
http://www.pathname.com/~quinlan/

Re: new tool for website -- versioned configuration reference

Posted by Daniel Quinlan <qu...@pathname.com>.
jm@jmason.org (Justin Mason) writes:

> That would be easier to do.  Probably a good idea, sth like:
>
>     /ref/3.0.x/use_auto_whitelist.html

I'd strongly advocate providing versioned links for the current
documentation *first* and afterwards we can worry about option links.

  /ref/3.0.0/Mail::SpamAssassin::Conf.html

or whatever.

> It just uses the latest, if the =item exists in >1 version.

That's definitely not the right way and will definitely cause problems
and confusion.

Daniel