Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Patrick Yip <yi...@ICG.com> on 2005/01/18 22:37:59 UTC

Persistence: JDO vs. Hibernate

We are in the process of redesigning our ecommerce system.   Can someone
shed some light on this pro and con of using JDO vs Hibernate in
Tapestry?  From a practical standpoint, I may be able to count on
commercial support for JDO implementation but not entirely sure if there
is any support in the case of Hibernate. From the design standpoint, can
someone share your opinion or experience?

Thanks,

Patrick Yip
Director of Software Development.
www.icg.com <http://www.icg.com/>
(626) 923-1133 Ext.241

Re: Persistence: JDO vs. Hibernate

Posted by Marko Srdanovic <ma...@med.cornell.edu>.
Hello all,

We've been using JDO for a while now, and have been slowly porting parts
of our application (see http://www.sigpath.org/) from JSP/Struts over to
tapestry with nice results.  For the database itself, we use FastObjects
JDO, but have used Kodo/Oracle and are very close to having a JPOX
version working.  We haven't fully tested the web application with Kodo
and/or JPOX yet, but the JUnit tests are working nicely.

As far as the integration with Tapestry is concerned, we have two
approaches that seem to work well for us.  For submitting new data (or
modifying existing data) to SigPath, we basically have the ui components
deal with XML documents, we have in place a mechanism to import and
export the XML directly to our datamodel (which can be also used for
offline submission and extraction).  In these cases, we only deal with
database transaction to marshal and unmarshal the xml.  The validation
is done on the xml itself.   For "viewing" data, I've found that
starting a database transaction in the pageBeginRender, and ending the
transaction in the pageEndRender works quite nicely, although I haven't
done much load testing and/or benchmarking on this.  In any case, the
components can then access the objects as they render, so for table
views the implementation is quite simple and can be done mainly with the
.html and .page files and little custom code.

As far as support is concerned, all three JDO "vendors" (FastObjects,
Kodo and JPOX) have been quite helpful.

The SigPath application including source code is available at
http://www.sigpath.org/.  Feel free to take a look.  We are planning on
updating the code quite soon.  Comments, suggestions and/or concerns are
always welcome!

   -- Marko