Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by Sam Ruby <ru...@us.ibm.com> on 2002/01/31 14:05:59 UTC

Source Code - Apache XML Xerces

Can someone @ xerces-c-dev provide the answers?

- Sam Ruby

---------------------- Forwarded by Sam Ruby/Raleigh/IBM on 01/31/2002
08:03 AM ---------------------------

Apache Software Foundation <hu...@apache.org> on 01/31/2002
06:50:45 AM

Please respond to board@apache.org

To:    Apache Board <bo...@apache.org>, ASF members <me...@apache.org>
cc:
Subject:    Source Code - Apache XML Xerces

I replied "yes" and "I believe so", respectively.

About the only Google references to "dixon waxter" are for
a lawyer late of Baltimore, I suspect we have our first
(?) case of an ambulance chaser looking for a way to
get at us.

XML people, please identify the Berry files to which he
refers, and confirm that we have them with permission.
And confirm that we *are* including the config* files
because of the ./configure exception.

----- Forwarded message from Dixon Waxter <dw...@msn.com> -----

From: "Dixon Waxter" <dw...@msn.com>
To: <hu...@Apache.Org>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 10:31:56 -0700

First of all, I have read Apache's FAQ web-page, but I still have a
question for Apache regarding the source code for Apache XML
Xerces-c-src1_5_1 (source package for Windows).

In the source code, there are two files ("src/config.guess" and
"src/config") which are copyrighted by the Free Software Foundation
and licensed under the GNU GPL.  Is Apache aware of these two files?
Does Apache consider itself to fall within the "Autoconf" exception in
the licensing terms?

There are also four files written by James D. Berry of Critical Path
Software, Inc.  Is Mr. Berry affiliated with Apache or has Apache
received permission to use and distribute his work?

Dixon Waxter, Esquire
510 S. Williams Street
Denver, CO  80209
dwaxter@msn.com

----- End forwarded message -----

--
#ken  P-)}

"Millenium hand and shrimp!"

Re: Source Code - Apache XML Xerces

Posted by James Berry <jb...@criticalpath.com>.
On 1/31/02 6:13 AM, "Tinny Ng" <tn...@ca.ibm.com> wrote:

>>  XML people, please identify the Berry files to which he refers, and
> confirm that we have them with permission.
>
> By cc to James, please confirm ....

I believe the "four files" in question, which include my name, are:

    - MacOSURLAccess.hpp
    - MacOSURLAccess.cpp
    - URLAccessBinInputStream.hpp
    - URLAccessBinInputStream.cpp

Note that these files contain the standard apache copyright header. The only
mention of me is as the author: I make no claim of copyright, though I did
write the code from the ground up and submit and commit it to the apache
project with the apache copyright header.

Here's an example section from URLAccessBinInputStream.hpp:

    ...apache header here...
 *
 * This software consists of voluntary contributions made by many
 * individuals on behalf of the Apache Software Foundation, and was
 * originally based on software copyright (c) 1999, International
 * Business Machines, Inc., http://www.ibm.com .  For more information
 * on the Apache Software Foundation, please see
 * <http://www.apache.org/>.
 *
 * Written by James D. Berry 7/20/00
 * Critical Path Software, Inc.
 */

Also, I traded the following email with Dixon Waxter on Jan 24:

Hi Dixon,

This mail found me. Yes, I wrote that code, and yes, to the best of my
knowledge this code is being properly distributed by Apache under the Apache
Software License.

I'd be happy to answer any other questions at this email address...

-jdb

 James D. Berry
 mailto:jberry@criticalpath.com
 vox:503.265.1213 fax:503.222.3020