Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org> on 2001/06/19 04:30:13 UTC

Re: cvs commit:jakarta-tomcat-4.0/catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/loaderWebappClassLoader.java

> on 6/18/01 7:12 PM, "remm@apache.org" <re...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > - All the JARs in /WEB-INF/lib are extracted and copied to the work
directory,
> >   even if the resources are filesystem based. Otherwise, it is not
possible to
> >   actually manipulate the JARs which are in the webapp while they're
open, at
> >   least under Windows. This operation is relatively fast anyway.
>
> So, what is the side effect of this? Will that directory now grow without
> bounds?

Obviously, the "side effect" is not that huge.

Try it first, and complain later if it's really a problem :)

> I'm not sure I like a hack like this that is clearly winblows specific.
Can
> you do this conditionally depending on platform?

It's not a hack, it's just about robustness. Maybe it would be a problem on
some other platform, I just don't know.

Remy

Re: cvscommit:jakarta-tomcat-4.0/catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/loaderW ebappClassLoader.java

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 6/19/01 9:03 PM, "Remy Maucherat" <re...@apache.org> wrote:

> Do you have version 1.63 of StandardContext, as well as 1.4 (or 1.3, it's
> the same minus the traces mentioned below) of WebappLoader, and 1.2 of
> WebappClassLoader ?
>
> I added some e.printStackTrace() in WebappLoader to display if something bad
> happens when actually copying the files. It may be some platform specific
> file-related bug.
> I don't think I have hardcoded anything as work-only-on-windows, though ;-)
>
> Remy

I have 1.5 (your latest version) and the latest CVS update...

Scarab comes up just fine.

No errors are printed to the window that I run Tomcat from...just this...

Guessing CATALINA_HOME from catalina.sh to ./bin/..
Setting CATALINA_HOME to ./bin/..
Using CLASSPATH: ./bin/../bin/bootstrap.jar
Using CATALINA_HOME: ./bin/..
Starting service Tomcat-Standalone
Apache Tomcat/4.0-b6-dev

Nothing is in my work/localhost/scarab directory.

Love,

-jon

Re: Re:cvscommit:jakarta-tomcat-4.0/catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/loaderWebappClassLoader.java

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
> > And it's still loading the classes ?
>
> Yup, everything is running fine...

Weird.

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 6/19/01 7:21 PM, "Remy Maucherat" <re...@apache.org> wrote:

>> Ok, I guess I can't complain because this doesn't seem to extract any
>> WEB-INF/lib jars into the work directory. :-)
>>
>> I'm using the latest cvs of tomcat...

> ?
> And it's still loading the classes ?

Yup, everything is running fine...

I'm serious...nothing is going into my work/localhost/scarab (the only
directories in the work directory) directory...

-jon

your pain to new levels. --Anonymous

Re: cvscommit:jakarta-tomcat-4.0/catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/loaderWebappClassLoader.java

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
> on 6/18/01 7:30 PM, "Remy Maucherat" <re...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > Obviously, the "side effect" is not that huge.
> >
> > Try it first, and complain later if it's really a problem :)
> >
> >> I'm not sure I like a hack like this that is clearly winblows specific.
> > Can
> >> you do this conditionally depending on platform?
> >
> > It's not a hack, it's just about robustness. Maybe it would be a problem
on
> > some other platform, I just don't know.
> >
> > Remy
>
> Ok, I guess I can't complain because this doesn't seem to extract any
> WEB-INF/lib jars into the work directory. :-)
>
> I'm using the latest cvs of tomcat...

?
And it's still loading the classes ?

When it's been proven that it's working as it should under Unix without
copying away the JARs, then we can consider not moving away the JARs. At
least under Windows, it's definitely needed, though.

We could also not copy the JARs when reloading is disabled.

Remy

Re: cvs commit:jakarta-tomcat-4.0/catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/loaderWeba ppClassLoader.java

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.