Posted to dev@calcite.apache.org by Jack Ingoldsby <ja...@gmail.com> on 2017/06/21 18:49:53 UTC

Setting up remote JDBC Calcite Against Druid

Hi,
I was  asked by one of our sales guys to have a look at seeing if our BI
tool can query Druid.
I spun up an AWS Linux instance, installed Druid, have populated with 43
records from wikiticker.

I can query on the instance using Calcite Sqlline with the  jdbc connection
string

!connectjdbc:calcite:schemaFactory=org.apache.calcite.adapter.druid.DruidSchemaFactory;schema.url=http://localhost:8082;schema.coordinatorUrl
=http://localhost:8081 admin admin

I've installed Avatica/Calcite on my local windows machine, but am not
really sure how to connect to the remote instance... I've made a genuine
effort searching including the archives, but no avail .

Are there any steps or examples of setting up remote connections?  I need
to  demonstrate it is possible for a customer demo tomorrow (in principle,
performance not yet a concern), so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jack

Re: Setting up remote JDBC Calcite Against Druid

Posted by Slim Bouguerra <sl...@gmail.com>.
have you looked at this ?
https://hortonworks.com/blog/connect-tableau-druid-hive/ <https://hortonworks.com/blog/connect-tableau-druid-hive/>

Also druid as a built in SQL layer starting from druid 0.10.0 thus you can use it to connect tableau as well
http://druid.io/docs/latest/querying/sql.html <http://druid.io/docs/latest/querying/sql.html>

--

B-Slim
_______/\/\/\_______/\/\/\_______/\/\/\_______/\/\/\_______/\/\/\_______

Re: Setting up remote JDBC Calcite Against Druid using Avatica

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.
Hi Jack,

You definitely need some form of Avatica to access the system as Calcite
depends on code in Avatica. However, you don't need to set up an Avatica
server to access Druid via Calcite -- you can use the Calcite JDBC
driver directly.

In the original example, you included a username/password of
"admin"/"admin". I don't know if the Druid integration has
authentication pushdown (nor what kind of authentication Druid itself
supports). I would venture a guess that the username and password are
ignored and you could provide anything :)

Unless you have configured Avatica in such a way to require certain
authentication (which is unlikely) the values you provide are of no
consequence. Sqlline is just asking you for them because it assumes they
are required.

Posted by Gian Merlino <gi...@imply.io>.
Ah, the URL isn't quite right. Try changing it to
http://localhost:8082/druid/v2/sql/avatica/ (include 'avatica' and the
trailing slash) and make sure druid.sql.enable = true is set in your Druid
runtime properties.

Gian

Posted by Jack Ingoldsby <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

[...]