Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agsoftware.dnsalias.com> on 2003/05/11 14:41:06 UTC

[ENHANCEMENT] from disable to enable....

This is my first recommendation for Forrest :)

In skinconf.xml please change the tags like:

a) <disable-search>false</disable-search>

b) <enable-search>true</enable-search>

The reason is simple:

In a) we are asked with a negation. From a human interface this type of
question are not recommended. To get what we need we must to answer with a
negation.

In b) the option is clear. It ask if you want to ENABLE. If I need the
option we clearly answer is TRUE. Simply easier to answer.

I hope this explanation clear the point.

Since Forrest have not released version 1 anI think this is a valid change.

There are no some "historic reason", we can do the change.

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo

Re: [ENHANCEMENT] from disable to enable....

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.
Antonio Gallardo wrote:

<snip things Nicola answered>
> My last question:
> 2-How can we print all the documents from a site at once and coherently?

I'm currently trying to do that, by creating a CInclude-aggregated XML
doc which is transformed to one big HTML/PDF. This can be done with the
technique demonstrated at:

http://cvs.apache.org/~jefft/forrest/samples/wikirenderer-site/

Two problems (at least) need solving before this can become mainstream:

1) Occasionally hand-written @id attributes from different files
conflict, and FOP doesn't like this. The IdGeneratorTransformer needs
enhancing to resolve conflicting ids.
2) It would be better to obtain the file list from site.xml instead of a
DirectoryGenerator, because site.xml classifies and orders docs, and we
want to preserve this in the aggregate doc.

--Jeff

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Antonio Gallardo wrote, On 12/05/2003 14.39:

> Jeff Turner dijo:
>
>>Changing the polarity of the logic now would require a change in all
>>third-party skins, so IMHO the cost probably outweighs the gain.
>
> I know but, later will be worse.

No, it will be less worse. Since we will change anyway, 1 change is less
problematic than 2 changes ;-)

> OK. I hope this is a high priority change.

from disable to enable? It is not.

There is already: xml-forrest-cvs@apache.org

> 2.Who else is helping you mantaining the code. Because as long as I saw
> almost every change is done by you. ;)

Look in the commit messages in the status.xml file for example, or in
the commit history, you will fing Jeff is not the only.

> As you know I am using Forrest to write the initial docs of a webapp.
> Overall Forrest it is very nice. Really Forrest helps to do that work
> fine. I love it. I think we must also include support for forms in some
> format for HTML as well to PDF.

RFE

> My last question:
> 2-How can we print all the documents from a site at once and coherently?

Wanna send a patch to make a big PDF for all the site? ;-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: [ENHANCEMENT] from disable to enable....

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agsoftware.dnsalias.com>.
Jeff Turner dijo:

> Changing the polarity of the logic now would require a change in all
> third-party skins, so IMHO the cost probably outweighs the gain.

I know but, later will be worse. OK. I hope this is a high priority change.

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.
On Sun, May 11, 2003 at 06:41:06AM -0600, Antonio Gallardo wrote:
> This is my first recommendation for Forrest :)
>
> In skinconf.xml please change the tags like:
>
> a) <disable-search>false</disable-search>

> b) <enable-search>true</enable-search>
>
> The reason is simple:
>
> In a) we are asked with a negation. From a human interface this type of
> question are not recommended. To get what we need we must to answer with a
> negation.
>
> In b) the option is clear. It ask if you want to ENABLE. If I need the
> option we clearly answer is TRUE. Simply easier to answer.
>
> I hope this explanation clear the point.

:) Yes, you're not the first to point this out.  skinconf.xml has always
been a bit of a hack.  It mixes project metadata with Forrest (skin)
configuration settings, and:
 - we need a more comprehensive project metadata format, since not only
   skins are interested in this.
 - there are also config settings in forrest.properties.  Having this
   stuff in two files is obviously bad.

The plan is to get rid of skinconf.xml (probably in 0.6), and have two
files, one for metadata, and the other for configuration.