Posted to dev@bloodhound.apache.org by Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com> on 2012/08/07 20:29:39 UTC

Re: [Apache Bloodhound] #156: Local copy of bloodhound part of Apache repo for browse functionality

Not sure if this could be of interest beyond Bloodhound. It is a very
simple script (and quite possibly over-complicated in reality).

The attachment referred to is here:
https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound/attachment/ticket/156/emptyrevs.py

Just tested it on 1229640 empty commits:

    python3 emptyrevs.py 1229640 | eatmydata svnadmin
    --bypass-prop-validation load repos/

which took about 2 hours - I suspect that the svnadmin load was the real
bottleneck.. it is just a few seconds to create about 92M of data if you
direct to a file instead.

Cheers,
     Gary

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
On Aug 9, 2012 7:17 PM, "Gary Martin" <ga...@wandisco.com> wrote:

> On 09/08/12 16:36, Greg Stein wrote:
>>
>> On Aug 9, 2012 11:33 AM, "Dave Brondsema" <da...@brondsema.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> That sounds great.  AFAIK an NFS mount will be fine for Allura to read
>>
>> from.
>>>
>>> By the way, I've subscribed to the bloodhound-dev list also.  It seems
>>> that allura and bloodhound have a lot in common: python code/project
>>> management tools both going through incubation :)
>>
>> Hehe... actually, I've considered raising the idea of plugging BH into
>> Allura. Guess this is a good time to do just that :-)
>>
>> Cheers,
>> -g
>>

> Certainly a very interesting idea. Would this be considered consistent
with Allura's plans though?

No idea :-)

Somebody had to bring it up, though ;-) ... I imagine it would be an idea
for post-graduation, and when/if somebody gets the itch.

Cheers,
-g

Re: [Apache Bloodhound] #156: Local copy of bloodhound part of Apache repo for browse functionality

Posted by Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com>.
On 10/08/12 21:05, Olemis Lang wrote:

>> >A key part of Allura's architecture is the pluggability of "tools".  A
>> >standalone BloodHound tool for Allura could be developed without
>> >affecting the Allura platform at all.
>> >
>> >That said, a lot of the benefit of Allura is in using the core models
>> >which would give you unified searching, permissions, cross-linking
>> >between tools, etc.  So you couldn't reap those benefits without a lot
>> >of customization to BloodHound.
>> >

> AFAICS something in our schedule related to this may be #142 [1]_ , isn't it ?
>
> .. [1] #142 	Product-specific permissions
>          (https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound/ticket/142)

I don't think that is strictly related as that is about internal
permissions.

Although it will take a bit of investigation, I don't see a particular
problem with Bloodhound providing a plugin to tap into permissions,
another search mechanism and so on. I am not sure how long it will be
before we can turn our attention to this at the moment, but it is very
good to know that interoperability is a possibility.

Cheers,
     Gary

Re: [Apache Bloodhound] #156: Local copy of bloodhound part of Apache repo for browse functionality

Posted by Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com>.

Posted by Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com>.
On 8/10/12, Dave Brondsema <da...@brondsema.net> wrote:
> On 8/9/12 7:17 PM, Gary Martin wrote:
>>> from.
>>> Hehe... actually, I've considered raising the idea of plugging BH into
>>> Allura. Guess this is a good time to do just that :-)
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> -g
>>>

>> Certainly a very interesting idea. Would this be considered consistent
>> with Allura's plans though?
>>

> A key part of Allura's architecture is the pluggability of "tools".  A
> standalone BloodHound tool for Allura could be developed without
> affecting the Allura platform at all.
>
> That said, a lot of the benefit of Allura is in using the core models
> which would give you unified searching, permissions, cross-linking
> between tools, etc.  So you couldn't reap those benefits without a lot
> of customization to BloodHound.

AFAICS something in our schedule related to this may be #142 [1]_ , isn't it ?

.. [1] #142 	Product-specific permissions
        (https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound/ticket/142)

Olemis.

Blog ES: http://simelo-es.blogspot.com/
Blog EN: http://simelo-en.blogspot.com/

Featured article:

Re: [Apache Bloodhound] #156: Local copy of bloodhound part of Apache repo for browse functionality

Posted by Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dave Brondsema <da...@brondsema.net>.

--
Dave Brondsema : dave@brondsema.net
http://www.brondsema.net : personal

Re: [Apache Bloodhound] #156: Local copy of bloodhound part of Apache repo for browse functionality

Posted by Dave Brondsema <da...@brondsema.net>.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com>.

Posted by Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com>.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dave Brondsema <da...@brondsema.net>.
That sounds great.  AFAIK an NFS mount will be fine for Allura to read from.

By the way, I've subscribed to the bloodhound-dev list also.  It seems
that allura and bloodhound have a lot in common: python code/project
management tools both going through incubation :)

-Dave

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
We can simply re-ask infra... :)

Fwd: [Apache Bloodhound] #156: Local copy of bloodhound part of Apache repo for browse functionality

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com>.
On 8/9/12, Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com> wrote:
> On 08/09/2012 06:52 AM, Greg Stein wrote:
>> On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 1:27 AM, Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
>> (on that note, the new Apache Steve TLP (no web site yet; small group
>> to do STV voting tools) is pondering asking whether they could use BH,
>> and whether this community would support that)
>
> That would certainly be cool with me.

I second that ...

[...]
> There are things that would be nice for us to improve on

yep. The change will be more evident after Release 3 .

> but, as far as
> I can tell, we have not stopped from being a usable system. Anyway,
> anything that drives additional feedback would be fantastic.

definitely sure !

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/trac-dev/UcbwUjwCM7Q

Posted by Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com>.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com>.
On 8/8/12, Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Very cool!
>
> But with that said... I was on IRC, and the Infra guys might actually
> create a full repository mirror for us. The thing is that Apache
> Allura (also incubating) will want a copy of their project(s), too.
> Tho... I think they're going with Git, but the concept is the same.
> Bloodhound and Allura both need local read-access to repositories.

[...]
> I believe the Right Answer here is for both projects to confirm that
> this option is workable, and for us to ask Infra to start setting it
> up.
>
> Thoughts?

Well . I don't know if I understood correctly , so it's not clear to
me whether we will have git or svn repository after all this . In case
we are talking of git , the only thing I wanted to mention is that
there are some (performance) issues regarding git support in Trac .
There's a recent thread about that subject in trac-dev ML . If this is
something to consider then I can post a link to that thread for
further details .
:-/

If it's an svn repos in the end then ... nothing to  say ...
:-$

Posted by Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com>.
I assumed that you would be able to confirm that!

Actually, this approach could be very helpful as I was worried about
having to sort out the python bindings for subversion 1.7 for the
version of python that is used on the VM. If I don't need svnrdump, I
should be able to use the standard distro packages.

I assume that this is of less interest for the allura-dev list so sorry
if this is a bit off topic for you.

Cheers,
     Gary

Posted by Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com>.