Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Ramprasad <ra...@netcore.co.in> on 2006/07/26 12:54:24 UTC

bottleneck analsyis on spamassassin

Hi,
  Spamassassin has so many dependencies on various external factors
like network , disck IO , RAM etc
If I want to analyse the performance on my SA box , how do I find out
what the bottlenecks are.
I am using spamassassin as a module in Mailscanner on  CentOS
Is there any tool by which I can analyze the bottlenecks of my system

Thanks
Ram

Re: bottleneck analsyis on spamassassin

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
"top"

Network checks are costly for time. Ping times can give useful hints.

Some rule sets are extraordinarily costly for memory and time. (There
is an "evil" rule set that's reasonable and another that is obsolete,
overgrown, and a huge system drain. Be careful to pick the right one.
Read the descriptions on RulesEmporium. {^_-}

If top shows your system is thrashing (has actually used some of the
swap space) you either have too many children active or too little
memory.

With multiple children disk IO is not too likely to be a problem with
modern disks using spamd or anything else which demonizes spamassassin.
Even with only one child it should not be noticeable compared to the
rest of the time spent actually scanning and on network tests. This
of course changes if you get into using the swap file. That is the single
most time expensive thing that can happen to SpamAssassin other than a
lost network path to the DNS block list lookups or broken DNS on your
system. (And a ten second DNS timeout is probably a tossup with SA going
into swapping heavily with a lot of children.)

{^_^}