Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by David E Jones <da...@hotwaxmedia.com> on 2009/04/11 00:21:36 UTC

New Default Theme?

Now that we have some nice themes in place I'm wondering if we
shouldn't change the default theme, especially for the back-end. The
old blue-grey-flat theme (which we should probably move to a theme
component) is functional and I suppose lightweight too, but perhaps
doesn't give the best first impression.

Right now we have 2 alternative themes for the back-end (the bluelight
theme and the smoothfeather theme which is meant to look like the new
web site), and 1 alternative theme for ecommerce (the multiflex theme).

One issue with all of these is they haven't been tested as thoroughly
as the old stuff, but I'm not too worried about that because there are
issues with the new default lots of people will see it soon and we
should be able to get things fixed pretty fast. In my own testing both
of the back-end ones seem pretty solid (I haven't played with the
ecommerce one yet).

Anyway, please respond with your thoughts on this. I considered
opening a vote, but a general discussion is probably better first (and
a vote may not be needed depending on how this discussion goes).

BTW, yes, this is for marketing purposes and should happen before the
release branch next Tuesday.

-David

Re: New Default Theme?

Posted by Bruno Busco <br...@gmail.com>.
+1 for setting smoothfeather as default backoffice theme.
There is still something to be fixed while showing pages that use a
different GlobalDescriptor like lookups.

-Bruno

Re: New Default Theme?

Posted by Ashish Vijaywargiya <as...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Hello David,

Re: New Default Theme? not yet

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.
Jacques Le Roux wrote:
> So we need to extract the std theme and to make it a theme
> like the others, and the default OOTB (so far). I don't give all details
> but this means to have a new "std layout" theme under the /themes directory

I was thinking about that the other day. I'd like to see the current
default theme moved to the themes folder.

-Adrian

Re: New Default Theme? not yet

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Hi Tim,

I fixed this at r765721 but for FF3. Please see my comment in https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-2303

About smoothfeather as the default theme : if we want to do that correctly we need to treat each theme equally. For the moment the
std theme is considered as "superior" to the other themes. It's not exactly what it should be : a default changeable easily from
scratch by a parameter. So we need to extract the std theme and to make it a theme like the others, and the default OOTB (so far). I
don't give all details but this means to have a new "std layout" theme under the /themes directory

Jacques

From: "Jacques Le Roux" <ja...@les7arts.com>

Re: New Default Theme? not yet

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Forgot to say : done at r765726

Jacques

From: "Jacques Le Roux" <ja...@les7arts.com>

Re: New Default Theme? not yet

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
From: "Tim Ruppert" <ti...@hotwaxmedia.com>

Re: New Default Theme? not yet

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
From: Ryan Foster

No, I don't hate footers ;).

The originally thinking was to give the backend look and feel a more "desktop" like feeling, where most of the information and
navigation is located in sidebars, file menus, tabs, etc.  Following that line of thinking, maybe we put a "help" link in the header
right next to preferences that drops down in a similar fashion to show copyright, link to apache, etc.  This would function exactly
the same way that the help link functions in apps like Firefox, Mac Mail, Outlook, Word, etc.  We could even put a simple keyword
search field in this section that searches docs.ofbiz.org.  See the screenshot below for an example:

Ryan Foster

___________________________________
Hi Ryan,

Yes great idea, I like it :o)

There are still issues related to font sizes, but clearly people not involved in previous UI developments (who have an exernal look)
prefer far more the new one (more easy to read they say). Even in the order view case which was a problem for me (is still but I
have to get used to I guess ;o).

BTW, I opened a Jira issue for the small issues I found in Confluence so far

Thanks

Jacques

Re: New Default Theme? not yet

Posted by Ryan Foster <ry...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
No, I don't hate footers ;).

The originally thinking was to give the backend look and feel a more
"desktop" like feeling, where most of the information and navigation
is located in sidebars, file menus, tabs, etc.  Following that line of
thinking, maybe we put a "help" link in the header right next to
preferences that drops down in a similar fashion to show copyright,
link to apache, etc.  This would function exactly the same way that
the help link functions in apps like Firefox, Mac Mail, Outlook, Word,
etc.  We could even put a simple keyword search field in this section
that searches docs.ofbiz.org.  See the screenshot below for an example:

Ryan Foster
HotWax Media
801.671.0769
ryan.foster@hotwaxmedia.com

Re: New Default Theme? not yet

Posted by Tim Ruppert <ti...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Inline

Cheers,
Tim

Re: New Default Theme? not yet

From: "Ryan Foster" <ry...@hotwaxmedia.com>

Re: New Default Theme? not yet

Posted by Tim Ruppert <ti...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Awesome - thanks for the follow up.  I think it got patched up earlier, so it's probably just waiting on the commit (if it's not in there already).  Good stuff.

Cheers,
Tim
--
Tim Ruppert
HotWax Media

o:801.649.6594
f:801.649.6595

Re: New Default Theme? not yet

Posted by Ryan Foster <ry...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Re: New Default Theme? not yet

Posted by Tim Ruppert <ti...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Re: New Default Theme? not yet

Posted by Ryan Foster <ry...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Re: New Default Theme? not yet

From: "Jacques Le Roux" <ja...@les7arts.com>

Re: New Default Theme? not yet

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
I agree with Hans,

From: "Hans Bakker" <ma...@antwebsystems.com>

Re: New Default Theme? not yet

Posted by Hans Bakker <ma...@antwebsystems.com>.
Hi David,

--
Antwebsystems.com: Quality OFBiz services for competitive rates

Re: New Default Theme?

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Ha! Also we should use OFBIZ-2309 and its incorporated issues to state clearly in the release "paper" that these are known bugs that
will be quickly resolved in the following days

I think this is a pretty good argument in the favor of what I ask for  ;o)

Jacques

From: "Jacques Le Roux" <ja...@les7arts.com>

Re: New Default Theme?

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
From: "Jacques Le Roux" <ja...@les7arts.com>
> I'd like to complete OFBIZ-2309 by creating incorpotated issues from Ashish's, Bruno's, Adrian's and Hans's remarks (of course if
> someone wants to create them it would be great) And I'd like to fix these issues and commit them on the new branch

Done at https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-2312

Jacques

Re: New Default Theme?

From: "Mike Bates" <mi...@hotwaxmedia.com>

Re: New Default Theme?

Posted by Mike Bates <mi...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
+1

Re: New Default Theme?

Posted by Sam Hamilton <sa...@virtualvillage.com>.
+1

On 17/04/2009 06:57, "David Jones" <da...@hotwaxmedia.com> wrote:

What I'm trying to decide on is which is more important right now....
On the one had there are issues with it so it's not the best default,
on the other hand it looks way better and more consistent with the
site and such and like Ean says would result in a far better response
from prospects.

The reason I proposed this is because there will be a big press
release for this release branch and relatively more people will be
downloading OFBiz and looking at the demo, and even if certain pages
are klunky that initial response may be more important than the
results of the thorough review (when they can change the theme too if
desired).

Anyway, my leaning is toward making it the default (hence this thread)
in order to improve the first response...

Are there issues, YES! Does it matter, yes. Does it matter more than
looking good for the first response, IMO: no.

-David

On Apr 16, 2009, at 11:16 AM, Ean Schuessler wrote:

> I'm all for getting there but I will say that we should dig in
> before we pull the trigger on it. I've been using it on my -dev
> instance and the interface gets pretty hard to use in some places.
>
> I agree, however, that it shouldn't take to much to tighten it up
> and the customer response is night and day.
>
> ----- "Scott Gray" wrote:
>> +1, I would like to see it made the default prior to branching, any
>> issues can be fixed and it does look much better.
>
> --
> Ean Schuessler, CTO Brainfood.com
> ean@brainfood.com - http://www.brainfood.com - 214-720-0700 x 315

Sam Hamilton
CTO
Virtual Village

Tel: +86 (21) 6271 3051
Fax: +86 (21) 5228 8539
Mobile: +86 (135) 2451 4480
E-mail: sam.hamilton@virtualvillage.com

Re: New Default Theme?

Posted by David E Jones <da...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Re: New Default Theme?

Posted by Ean Schuessler <ea...@brainfood.com>.

Re: New Default Theme?

Posted by Scott Gray <sc...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
+1,  I would like to see it made the default prior to branching, any
issues can be fixed and it does look much better.

Regards
Scott

HotWax Media
http://www.hotwaxmedia.com

Re: New Default Theme?

Posted by Tim Ruppert <ti...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Re: New Default Theme?

Re: New Default Theme?

Posted by Ashish Vijaywargiya <as...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
 >> Also we may associate recommendations (resolutions, browsers, etc.)
with each theme and show these recommendations in the themes
 >> gallery

 >> Jacques

+1

--