Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@apache.org> on 2003/02/14 05:42:30 UTC

Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/modules/loggers mod_log_config.c mod_log_config.h

>   change optional function to return the previous writer, allowing to
> have mutliple types
>   of writers in the same server. (previously you could only have one)
>
>   it needs a mmn bump.. sorry guys

Umm, okay, I give up... why does it need a major bump?  Would older
modules
really blow up because of this change?  I'm curious if it has something
to do with the nature of the optional hook macro.

....Roy

Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/modules/loggers mod_log_config.c mod_log_config.h

Posted by Ian Holsman <li...@holsman.net>.
On Thu, 13 Feb 2003 20:42:30 -0800, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

>>   change optional function to return the previous writer, allowing to
>> have mutliple types
>>   of writers in the same server. (previously you could only have one)
>>
>>   it needs a mmn bump.. sorry guys
>
> Umm, okay, I give up... why does it need a major bump?  Would older
> modules
> really blow up because of this change?  I'm curious if it has something to
> do with the nature of the optional hook macro.
>
> ....Roy

I thought everytime you changed a external interface to a function you
needed to bump it.
I don't think anything out there actually uses the hook as-is so it has a
very low impact to most people, so I would be ok without the mmn bump too.