Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by da...@hic.gov.au on 2003/06/10 04:25:59 UTC

Compiling Fortress

I am attempting to compile Fortress, however I am getting the following
problem:

>checkJUnit:
>
>checkRequiredClass:
>
>checkRequiredClass.fail:
>
>compile-test:
>        [echo] jUnit classpath is "D:\Program
Files\jakarta-ant-1.5\lib\junit.jar"
>       [javac] Compiling 38 source files to D:
\JavaDevelopment\avalon-excalibur\fortress\build\testclasses
>       [javac] D:
\JavaDevelopment\avalon-excalibur\fortress\build\testsrc\org\apache\avalon\fortress\test\RoleEntryTestCase.java:52:
 cannot resolve symbol
>       [javac] symbol  : class TestCase
>       [javac] location: package framework
>       [javac] import junit.framework.TestCase;
>       [javac]                        ^

(I modified the build script to report the value of the property with a
little echo)

Eclipse allows me to define a property for the ANT build and I have added
one to point to the ANT_HOME/lib copy of junit.jar but no success. Notice
that the junit.jar is located within the appropriate ant lib directory. I
also attempted to define an "ant.properties" file inside Fortress with the
same result.

Notice that the Target dependencies-test in the build script appears to
work successfully. That is presumably it finds the junit.jar in the
$ANT_HOME/lib or the ant.properties. But the compile fails so it cannot
find junit.jar.

However, I also notice that the compile-test target refers to 2 classpath
refids test.class.path and build.path. The path test.class.path contains a
reference to junit.jar. Even got into cross-checking between the various
parts of the build script (which in itself was most informative).

A perusal of the mailing list archive did not reveal any problem although
some have had some fun getting the compile to work.

Any thoughts on what I am doing wrong? The question is where does everyone
else have their junit.jar located?

NOTICE - This message is intended only for the use of the
addressee named above and may contain privileged and
confidential information.  If you are not the intended recipient
of this message you are hereby notified that you must not
disseminate, copy or take any action based upon it.  If you
received this message in error please notify HIC immediately.
the views of HIC.

Re: Compiling Fortress

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
david.gray@hic.gov.au wrote:

> I am attempting to compile Fortress, however I am getting the following
> problem:
>

>>checkJUnit:
>>
>>checkRequiredClass:
>>
>>checkRequiredClass.fail:
>>
>>compile-test:
>>       [echo] jUnit classpath is "D:\Program
>
> Files\jakarta-ant-1.5\lib\junit.jar"
>
>>      [javac] Compiling 38 source files to D:
>
> \JavaDevelopment\avalon-excalibur\fortress\build\testclasses
>
>>      [javac] D:
>
> \JavaDevelopment\avalon-excalibur\fortress\build\testsrc\org\apache\avalon\fortress\test\RoleEntryTestCase.java:52:
>  cannot resolve symbol
>
>>      [javac] symbol  : class TestCase
>>      [javac] location: package framework
>>      [javac] import junit.framework.TestCase;
>>      [javac]                        ^
>

> (I modified the build script to report the value of the property with a
> little echo)
>
> However, I also notice that the compile-test target refers to 2 classpath
> refids test.class.path and build.path. The path test.class.path contains a
> reference to junit.jar. Even got into cross-checking between the various
> parts of the build script (which in itself was most informative).
>
> A perusal of the mailing list archive did not reveal any problem although
> some have had some fun getting the compile to work.
>
> Any thoughts on what I am doing wrong? The question is where does everyone
> else have their junit.jar located?

ANT needs the JUnit JAR in its classpath to get the TestCases run.  Most
of us have already put it in our ANT distribution.

-----Chris Rock

Re: Compiling Fortress

Posted by Neeme Praks <ne...@apache.org>.
I've had some problems with spaces in the classpath on windows... if you
could convert to non-spaces version, would that work?
I belive something like this could work:
D:\Progra~1\jakarta-ant-1.5\lib\junit.jar

Rgds,
Neeme