Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Lukáš Černovský <Lu...@seznam.cz> on 2006/02/15 14:35:03 UTC

Embedded font problem

Hello,
I use embedded TrueType font (the document contains Czech characters) and view my PDF in Adobe Reader 6 CE.
Now when I am browsing the document, the Reader suddenly terminates.
This does not occur when I do not use embedded font  (font-family="monospace" without any special czech
characters in the document in this case).

I use FOP 0.2.05
embedded font is Arial, Times New Roman or Courier New (always the same problem)
metrics file created by org.apache.fop.fonts.apps.TTFReader

Lukas

Re: Embedded font problem

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
TrueType embedding in FOP is not perfect. ToUnicode tables are missing
but I don't know if that is the problem. Maybe Acrobat Reader 6 CE is
just more picky than its big brother. I don't have a Windows CE
environment to test.

I suggest you send Adobe one of your PDFs that crashes the reader and
let them figure out what the problem is. If we know that either Adobe
can fix their Reader or someone can try to improve TrueType embedding in
FOP. On the other side, there's still some work in progress to improve
the font situation in FOP. However, I think that will take some time. I
doubt there will be a short-term solution for your problem. :-(

On 15.02.2006 14:35:03 LukᚠÈernovský wrote:
> Hello,
> I use embedded TrueType font (the document contains Czech characters) and view my PDF in Adobe Reader 6 CE.
> Now when I am browsing the document, the Reader suddenly terminates.
> This does not occur when I do not use embedded font  (font-family="monospace" without any special czech
> characters in the document in this case).
>
> I use FOP 0.2.05
> embedded font is Arial, Times New Roman or Courier New (always the same problem)
> metrics file created by org.apache.fop.fonts.apps.TTFReader

Jeremias Maerki