Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Maurice Lawler <ma...@me.com> on 2013/10/01 17:44:14 UTC

Add Network to Instance

Hello,

I assumed the "Add Network to VM" meant, the ability to add an
additional IP address to an existing VM. However, getting he error
message the nic already exists.

Re: Add Network to Instance

Posted by Marcus Sorensen <sh...@gmail.com>.
A network is not just an ip. A network is a distinct entity consisting
of an ip range, netmask, broadcast, an isolation type. They are the
items you see when you go to the UI and hit 'network', or do an API
call 'listNetworks'. The 'add network to vm' essentially plugs a new
NIC into that VM and puts it on the network you specify.