Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> on 2022/06/16 10:10:02 UTC

Tomcat Native and OpenSSL 3.0.x

Hi all,

OpenSSL will be producing security releases on 21st June. This will
include 3.0.4.

OpenSSL 3.0.3 won't build for Windows using our build tool chain because
of a dependency on a method that doesn't exist in the runtime libraries
we build against. The fix will be in 3.0.4.

I have been able to build OpenSSL 3.0.x HEAD for Windows using our build
tool chain.

Given all of the above, my plan for Tomcat Native 2.0.0 is as follows:

- test the build once OpenSSL 3.0.4 is released, including running
   the 10.1.x unit tests with it

- tag and release Tomcat Native 2.0.0

- update Tomcat 10.1.x to use Tomcat Native 2.0.x

- tag and release Tomcat 10.1.x

A separate question is do we want to continue building Tomcat Native
1.2.x with OpenSSL 1.1.1 or do we want to switch to OpenSSL 3.0.x?

Thoughts?

Mark

Re: Tomcat Native and OpenSSL 3.0.x

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Mark,

On 6/21/22 11:42, Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 16/06/2022 11:10, Mark Thomas wrote:
>> OpenSSL will be producing security releases on 21st June. This will
>> include 3.0.4.
>
> The security issue affects a script distributed with OpenSSL. The
> binaries for Windows that Tomcat distributes are not affected.
>
>> OpenSSL 3.0.3 won't build for Windows using our build tool chain
>> because of a dependency on a method that doesn't exist in the runtime
>> libraries we build against. The fix will be in 3.0.4.
>>
>> I have been able to build OpenSSL 3.0.x HEAD for Windows using our
>> build tool chain.
>>
>> Given all of the above, my plan for Tomcat Native 2.0.0 is as follows:
>>
>> - test the build once OpenSSL 3.0.4 is released, including running
>>    the 10.1.x unit tests with it
>
> I'll be doing this later today.
>
>> - tag and release Tomcat Native 2.0.0
>>
>> - update Tomcat 10.1.x to use Tomcat Native 2.0.x
>>
>> - tag and release Tomcat 10.1.x
>>

>> A separate question is do we want to continue building Tomcat Native
>> 1.2.x with OpenSSL 1.1.1 or do we want to switch to OpenSSL 3.0.x?
>
> I'm on the fence on this one. I have configured Gump to build Tomcat
> Native 1.2.x with both OpenSSL 1.1.1 and 3.0.x. I am heading (one step
> at a time) towards:
>
> Test 10.1.x with Tomcat Native 2.0.x and OpenSSL 3.0.x
> Test 10.0.x with Tomcat Native 1.2.x and OpenSSL 3.0.x
> Test 9.0.x with Tomcat Native 1.2.x and OpenSSL 3.0.x
> Test 8.5.x with Tomcat Native 1.2.x and OpenSSL 1.1.1
>
> Assuming the tests pass (I expect they will) then we can decide which
> version of OpenSSL to use for the Windows binaries.
>
> Personally, I am leaning towards using 3.0.x as that makes a FIPS
> solution a possibility (once the FIPS module is certified).

You mean "building the statically-linked native library for inclusion in
Windows distributions" right? If so, I think switching to OpenSSL 3.0 is
okay. There may be some who don't want / can't take the upgrade, even
just because auditing the dependency-change is a giant hassle.

Would it be terribly difficult to produce two binaries?

-chris

Re: Tomcat Native and OpenSSL 3.0.x

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.