Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Michael Scheidell <sc...@secnap.net> on 2008/05/15 19:25:10 UTC

yahoo.com acknowledges no control over third party email from their mail servers

Yahoo.com says that they can't control email sent from third parties,
relayed through their mail servers.

"

Yahoo! has no control over activities outside its service, and therefore
we cannot take action

"
Sad, when for 12 years, the technology has existed to prevent third
party relaying like this.

Maybe after M$ purchases yahoo and converts their qmail based system  to
exchange it will run so slow that spammers won't even try. ;-)

sure looks like a dkim signed email, directly from yahoo.com servers.

Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 08:00:28 -0700 (PDT)
From: Nicholas Pizzi <ni...@intellectinternational.net>
Subject: Intellect International & Salesforce.com
To: scheidell@secnap.net

Hi Michael,

    I hope all is well.  My name is Nicholas Pizzi, and I'm with
Intellect International.  We are a partner with SalesForce.com.

(snipped)

For Information please see http://www.spammertrap.com

Re: yahoo.com acknowledges no control over third party email from their mail servers

Posted by SM <sm...@resistor.net>.
At 10:32 15-05-2008, John Hardin wrote:
>On Thu, 15 May 2008, Michael Scheidell wrote:
>
>>I understand your frustration in receiving unsolicited email. While
>>we investigate all reported violations against the Yahoo! Terms of
>>Service (TOS), in this particular case the message you received was
>>not sent through the Yahoo! Mail system.

>>(web1114.biz.mail.sk1.yahoo.com [74.6.114.46])
>>         by fl.us.spammertrap.net (Postfix) with SMTP id C81DC2E11E
>>         for <sc...@secnap.net>; Wed, 14 May 2008 11:00:29 -0400 (EDT)
>
>I assume you trust fl.us.spammertrap.net?

I understand your frustration in receiving unsolicited mail from an
IP address that points to a yahoo.com subdomain and which is directly
allocated to a Yahoo! company.

>How the hell can they disown that? The rDNS is from a domain they control!

Some providers ignore abuse reports for mail originating from
business customers.

Regards,
-sm

Re: yahoo.com acknowledges no control over third party email from their mail servers

Posted by mouss <mo...@netoyen.net>.
Michael Scheidell wrote:
> John Hardin wrote:
>> On Thu, 15 May 2008, Michael Scheidell wrote:
>>
>>> I understand your frustration in receiving unsolicited email. While
>>> we investigate all reported violations against the Yahoo! Terms of
>>> Service (TOS), in this particular case the message you received was
>>> not sent through the Yahoo! Mail system.

>>> (web1114.biz.mail.sk1.yahoo.com [74.6.114.46])
>>>      by fl.us.spammertrap.net (Postfix) with SMTP id C81DC2E11E
>>>      for <sc...@secnap.net>; Wed, 14 May 2008 11:00:29 -0400 (EDT)
>>
>> I assume you trust fl.us.spammertrap.net?
>>
> i AM fl.us.spammertrap.net ;-)

hmmm. I've seen almost exactly the same wording (in french) from a
french ISP. so I would guess that they have a script that failed to
"qualify" the complaint because there is an "extra hop". try resending
after removing the first Received header and see if it gets further...

>> How the hell can they disown that? The rDNS is from a domain they
>> control!
>>
> DKIM SIGNED NO LESS!

I see no dkim signature.

Re: yahoo.com acknowledges no control over third party email from their mail servers

Posted by Michael Scheidell <sc...@secnap.net>.
John Hardin wrote:
> On Thu, 15 May 2008, Michael Scheidell wrote:
>
>> I understand your frustration in receiving unsolicited email. While
>> we investigate all reported violations against the Yahoo! Terms of
>> Service (TOS), in this particular case the message you received was
>> not sent through the Yahoo! Mail system.

>> (web1114.biz.mail.sk1.yahoo.com [74.6.114.46])
>>      by fl.us.spammertrap.net (Postfix) with SMTP id C81DC2E11E
>>      for <sc...@secnap.net>; Wed, 14 May 2008 11:00:29 -0400 (EDT)
>
> I assume you trust fl.us.spammertrap.net?

i AM fl.us.spammertrap.net ;-)

> How the hell can they disown that? The rDNS is from a domain they
> control!

DKIM SIGNED NO LESS!

--
Michael Scheidell, CTO
Main: 561-999-5000, Office: 561-939-7259
 > *| *SECNAP Network Security Corporation
Winner 2008 Technosium hot company award.
www.technosium.com/hotcompanies/ <http://www.technosium.com/hotcompanies/>

Posted by James Pratt <jp...@norwich.edu>.

If you get testy with them and mail them back and forth about it, and
include links to the whois/dig output *proving* that they are
lying/hiding/whatever, they will eventually "fess up", and a day or so
later, you should receive the standard "We have taken appropriate action
against the user in   question (yadda-yadda)" email. ...Whether or not
they actually *do* anything is obviously an unknown, however, I agree
that this is just *bad*, so I tend to "call them on it" every time if I
can/have the time.

IOTW - I'm not exactly on "Elmer's" buddy-list... ;)

Re: yahoo.com acknowledges no control over third party email from their mail servers

Posted by Michael Scheidell <sc...@secnap.net>.
> From: John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>
> Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 10:32:29 -0700 (PDT)
> To: Michael Scheidell <sc...@secnap.net>
> Cc: SpamAssassin Users List <us...@spamassassin.apache.org>
> Subject: Re: yahoo.com acknowledges no control over third party email from
> their mail servers
>

> How the hell can they disown that? The rDNS is from a domain they control!

Didn't disown it, just said it didn't come from a yahoo.com authorized
source, ie:  they have open third party relay and just allow random spammers
to use their servers.

I get that email response from them 75% of the time, which means (according
to yahoo.com) that 75% of the spam coming from yahoo.com DKIM signed servers
is from third partys, not authorized yahoo.com users.

--
Michael Scheidell, CTO
>|SECNAP Network Security
Winner 2008 Network Products Guide Hot Companies
FreeBSD SpamAssassin Ports maintainer

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Thu, 15 May 2008, Michael Scheidell wrote:

> I understand your frustration in receiving unsolicited email. While we
> investigate all reported violations against the Yahoo! Terms of Service
> (TOS), in this particular case the message you received was not sent
> through the Yahoo! Mail system.

> 	 by fl.us.spammertrap.net (Postfix) with SMTP id C81DC2E11E
> 	 for <sc...@secnap.net>; Wed, 14 May 2008 11:00:29 -0400 (EDT)

I assume you trust fl.us.spammertrap.net?

How the hell can they disown that? The rDNS is from a domain they control!

  6 days until the 4th anniversary of SpaceshipOne winning the X-prize