Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Steven Gollery <sg...@cadrc.calpoly.edu> on 2001/09/17 19:15:32 UTC

TransformerException: Namespace not supported

I have installed the 9/14 build of v. 1.3a2, but when I start up tomcat, I get this error in jetspeed.log:

javax.xml.transform.TransformerException: Namespace not supported by SAXParser

(this is just after "Late init for Registry called")

Later, when I point my browser at localhost:8080\jetspeed, I get the same error multiple times, starting with trying to load jetspeed-content.xml. The result is that most of the sample portlets are marked "unavailable" in the customize screen.

In the mail archive, I found Bruno Lowagie's message about this same error (21 Jun 2001), and  Christophe Mestrallet's reply: switch to xalan-2.0.1.jar and xerces_1_3_1.jar. I tried this, but I still get the same error.

Any ideas what else might be going on here?

Thanks in advance.

Steven Gollery
sgollery@cadrc.calpoly.edu

Re: Exception when trying to build

Posted by Cafe Bliss <ca...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,

In the mail archives I found two other people who had
the same problem.  The only solution stated was to try
to get the source again from CVS.  I tried this
several times with the same error result each time.
The CVS command I used was
cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@cvs.apache.org:/home/cvspublic
checkout jakarta-jetspeed.  Does this mean I'm getting
the latest?  Help, anyone?

Thanks!

Marcus

Re: TransformerException: Namespace not supported

Posted by Dave Carlson <dc...@ontogenics.com>.
Steve,

jaxp.jar is required because it provides the javax API interfaces for parsing
and XSLT transformation.  I don't believe these are provided in xerces or
xalan; they just implement the interfaces.  But the jaxp.jar included with
tomcat is also old.  I would go to JavaSoft and download the final JAXP 1.1,
which includes three jars: jaxp.jar, crimson.jar, and xalan.jar.

My configuration (which works) has:
tomcat lib: jaxp.jar, crimson.jar, xalan.jar, xerces.jar (latest 1.4.1)

Also, make sure that you don't have a system classpath set (outside of tomcat
startup) that includes some other old version of an XML parser.  It's a common
oversight (been there myself, so now I never set a system classpath when using
jdk 1.2.2 or higher).

Dave

Posted by Dave Carlson <dc...@ontogenics.com>.