Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> on 2015/12/01 18:28:42 UTC

[FLEXJS] AMF (was Re: AW: lib sprite flexjs,add graphics.as (canvas))

Hi,

Renaming this fork of the thread...

Well, I have no doubts that AMF is quite popular, but I guess I really
should have asked these questions:

1) If FlexJS didn't exist and you couldn't use FlashPlayer, how would you
get data from the server to client (and back again)?  JSON, XML, some
other thing?  The reason I haven't spent any energy on AMF for FlexJS is
because I think folks would have had to stop using AMF anyway.  Maybe
there is an simple AMF-to-JSON module that folks could implement on their
servers to do the job so you don't have to rewrite your server code.
2) If FlexJS did have AMF but its performance was worse than using JSON,
would you still choose the slower AMF implementation?  It isn't clear that
implementing AMF in JS is going to perform as well as browser-native JSON
or flash-native NetConnection.
3) What is the minimum version of IE that needs to support this?

Thanks,
-Alex

Re: [FLEXJS] AMF (was Re: AW: lib sprite flexjs,add graphics.as (canvas))

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Dec 2, 2015 at 3:38 PM, Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> wrote:

> These are all valid points, but the way I look at it is this:  If you have
> an existing Flex app and need to migrate it off of the Flash Player, would
> you reject using FlexJS because it doesn't have AMF support, or because
> the effort required to migrate the UI is too high?  I believe I can
> convince anyone who thinks that AMF is the critical factor that if they
> don't choose FlexJS they will have to move off of AMF anyway so you can't
> use that to reject FlexJS,

That is not always the case.  If I move to Sencha, I won't have to move off
of AMF.  The link I posted earlier shows how you can continue to use AMF
with Sencha.

> but if the migration cost of the UI is too
> high, then folks might also move their UI to some other JS UI framework
> instead.
>
> So, that's why I think my personal highest priority after getting all of
> our JS files back-ported to AS is to lay the foundation for a more
> Spark-like component set.  For sure, if someone has the time to implement
> AMF for FlexJS, please pitch in and do so.  Or if you convince me I can
> write AMF for FlexJS in a couple of days then maybe I'd stop and do so,
> but even then I'd want others to help debug it and support it because the
> server stuff is not my area of expertise.
>
> To be clear, I am not against AMF in FlexJS at all, I would love to see
> it.   It is just that I have so many other things I'm better at to do
> right now that I think has a better chance of making a big difference.
>
> Any volunteers to implement AMF for FlexJS?

I understand your situation.  At this point, we need volunteers from the
community to start building out AMF support for JavaScript if they want to
see this done quickly.  Hey, at least they don't have to write JavaScript,
they can do all this in ActionScript with FlexJS :-)

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
These are all valid points, but the way I look at it is this:  If you have
an existing Flex app and need to migrate it off of the Flash Player, would
you reject using FlexJS because it doesn't have AMF support, or because
the effort required to migrate the UI is too high?  I believe I can
convince anyone who thinks that AMF is the critical factor that if they
don't choose FlexJS they will have to move off of AMF anyway so you can't
use that to reject FlexJS, but if the migration cost of the UI is too

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Dec 2, 2015 at 3:15 PM, Carlos Rovira <carlos.rovira@codeoscopic.com

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.
Hi Alex

Posted by Héctor A <ne...@gmail.com>.
I have to say that I've never used AMF... If you Google for AMF Javascript
there are several results. If AMF in JS is impractical for some reason and
JSON is heavier than desired, maybe MessagePack <http://msgpack.org/> could
be considered.

Posted by Dev LFM <de...@gmail.com>.
1) I would use JSON because is well adopted and kinda easy to read.
2) No, I would choose the fastest, even if parsers required.

In the end, AMF is cool because keeps the type of the object and the size
is much smaller. If somehow json can archive the same, for me is ok to use
json.

AW: [FLEXJS] AMF (was Re: AW: lib sprite flexjs,add graphics.as (canvas))

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.

Von: Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>
Datum: 01.12.2015 18:29 (GMT+01:00)