Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Frank Morton <fm...@base2inc.com> on 2001/04/27 04:57:35 UTC

Port 80

I can't find where to RTFM, so can someone kindly point
me to an explanation of how to run tomcat with port 80
not as root. I can configure it for port 80 and run as
root, but can't figure out how to specify the uid to run
under.

Thanks.

Re: Port 80

Posted by Jan Labanowski <jk...@osc.edu>.
I do not think you will be ever able to run tomcat standalone as non-root
on port 80. Ports below 1024 can only be run as root. You say: "and Apache?..."
Apache is written in C, not Java, and changes the effective UID
to nobody (or whatever) for its children which do the work.
I do not think such stuff is possible in Java, and even if it was,
Tomcat does not support it. The solution is to have Apache run on port 80
and communicate with tomcat via ajp12 or ajp13  connector. Then
Tomcat can run as whatever you wish it to be, and need not be root,
since the connector ports are usually much higher than 1024, e.g., 8007.

Check also my write-ups:
http://www.ccl.net/cca/software/UNIX/apache

On Thu, 26 Apr 2001, Frank Morton wrote:

> I can't find where to RTFM, so can someone kindly point
> me to an explanation of how to run tomcat with port 80
> not as root. I can configure it for port 80 and run as
> root, but can't figure out how to specify the uid to run
> under.
>
> Thanks.

Jan K. Labanowski            |    phone: 614-292-9279,  FAX: 614-292-7168
Ohio Supercomputer Center    |    Internet: jkl@osc.edu
1224 Kinnear Rd,             |    http://www.ccl.net/chemistry.html
Columbus, OH 43212-1163      |    http://www.osc.edu/