Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org> on 2006/05/23 22:44:32 UTC

1.2 Release - Whats in it and when?

1.1 is almost complete and its time to start thinking about 1.2.  Aaron summarized the discussion at
Java One in his note.  I believe Aaron even volunteered to be the release manager for 1.2 :)

Here's my 2c to get this off the ground.

I am planning on working in performance improvements around SPECjAppServer which will include
improvements to OpenEJB as well as TranQL.

Also, I am interested in improving our inherent monitoring capability which currently is ghastly.
This includes additional counters and metrics.  A GUI representation in the Console as well as
perhaps collaborating with Alan on ARM instrumenting the server if he'll let me :)

I would prefer to not make this overly painful and ship something in short order.  Per Aaron's notes
and I concur with this idea we should work on 12 week release cycles.  8 weeks for development and 4
for release / bug fixes, etc.  On this track we should cut a dev branch from head at the end of July
and ship at the end of August.

I would also like to focus on cleaning up the JIRAs (some that are two-years old are too old).

Upgrading our dependencies (there are newer versions of AMQ, Logging, and a whole host of other
packages).

It would be nice if there was some XBean activity but that's more Dain's area.  (It would be really
nice to include dynamic dll support in XBean like OSGi; hint hint)

Also, it would be nice as a project that if something cool isn't  ready for our branch then it goes
in the next release.  There always will be a next release.

Let the flood gates go.

Matt

Re: 1.2 Release - Whats in it and when?

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On May 23, 2006, at 5:49 PM, David Jencks wrote:

> So, following your lead this is what I'm currently thinking of
> working on, not necessarily in order:

I forgot helping with the axis2 and xfire integrations.

thanks
david jencks

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
> [...]

> SPECjAppServer which will include improvements to OpenEJB as well
> as TranQL.
>
> Also, I am interested in improving our inherent monitoring
> capability which currently is ghastly. This includes additional
> counters and metrics.  A GUI representation in the Console as well
> as perhaps collaborating with Alan on ARM instrumenting the server
> if he'll let me :)
>
> I would prefer to not make this overly painful and ship something
> in short order.  Per Aaron's notes and I concur with this idea we
> should work on 12 week release cycles.  8 weeks for development and
> 4 for release / bug fixes, etc.  On this track we should cut a dev
> branch from head at the end of July and ship at the end of August.

Good idea.  Lets see if we can succeed in actually doing this :-)

> I would also like to focus on cleaning up the JIRAs (some that are

Yay!
> Upgrading our dependencies (there are newer versions of AMQ,
> Logging, and a whole host of other packages).
>
> It would be nice if there was some XBean activity but that's more
> Dain's area.  (It would be really nice to include dynamic dll
> support in XBean like OSGi; hint hint)
>
> Also, it would be nice as a project that if something cool isn't
> ready for our branch then it goes in the next release.  There
> always will be a next release.

I'll try to adhere to this (he says while stuffing as many backported
features from trunk into 1.1 as possible :-)

> Let the flood gates go.
>
> Matt

thanks
david jencks

Re: 1.2 Release - Whats in it and when?

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
Matt Hogstrom wrote:
> 1.1 is almost complete and its time to start thinking about 1.2.
> Aaron summarized the discussion at Java One in his note.  I believe
> Aaron even volunteered to be the release manager for 1.2 :)

Isn't that like leaving the fox in charge of the chicken coop?  ;)

> Here's my 2c to get this off the ground.
>
> Also, I am interested in improving our inherent monitoring capability
> which currently is ghastly. This includes additional counters and
> metrics.  A GUI representation in the Console as well as perhaps
> collaborating with Alan on ARM instrumenting the server if he'll let
> me :)

Whoot!

/me sets out the welcome matt...

FWIW, Simone Bordet and I will be instrumenting OpenEJB, AMQ, JDBC,
Axis2, Jetty and Tomcat for v1.2 with ARM.  We'll have JMX monitors and
all sorts of other goodies.

BTW, we sure could use some help.

> I would prefer to not make this overly painful and ship something in
> short order.  Per Aaron's notes and I concur with this idea we should
> work on 12 week release cycles.  8 weeks for development and 4 for
> release / bug fixes, etc.  On this track we should cut a dev branch
> from head at the end of July and ship at the end of August.
>
> I would also like to focus on cleaning up the JIRAs (some that are
> two-years old are too old).
>
> Upgrading our dependencies (there are newer versions of AMQ, Logging,
> and a whole host of other packages).
>
> It would be nice if there was some XBean activity but that's more
> Dain's area.  (It would be really nice to include dynamic dll support
> in XBean like OSGi; hint hint)
OSGi!  OSGi!  Can we use Felix?

Regards,
Alan