Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by abdul aleem <ja...@yahoo.com> on 2006/12/11 13:04:13 UTC

Using Lucene to search log files

Hi All,

Im a Lucene newbie,

Requirement :
==============
a) Build a log viewer tool, search log files for
keywords and time stamp

b)  files in production approx 200 logs per day and
each log file may range from 1MB - 5MB

Lucene
========
We wanted to utilize Lucene's search capabilities
especially search all 200 log files content quickly

a) Search criteria:
    i) Timestamp search: Fetch contents between any
two timestamps

   ii) Fetch log file contents for specified keyword

Query
========
    a ) Would greatly appreciate if some suggestions
        whether Lucene will be appropriate tool for
the requirement ??

    b) I have tried to use SpanQuery however
struggling to fetch entire conents e.g. (between two
timestamps)

    c) I had also looked at
LargeScaleDateRangeProcessing in the wiki, is that a
right approach for the requirement

  Any help / suggestion would be greatly appreciated,

  Many thanks in advance,
  Abdul

Re: Using Lucene to search log files

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
As far as the appropriateness of Lucene, it's an open question, but I think
it'd be fine. If it isn't, you have an "interesting" problem <G>.

About timestamps. This has been discussed a LOT on the thread, since they're
not as straight-forward as you might assume. See the thread *"Date ranges -
getting the approach right" *for an exposition on what it's all about. The
thing you *must* understand is that some forms of a query will throw a "too
many clauses" exception. Especially if you store your dates to, say,
millisecond resolution and use the intuitive query forms. Under the covers
if you ask for, say, all queries between 12:00 and 13:00, Lucene will expand
this to a big query with a clause for every value in your index that
satisfies the range. For instance, if there are 2,000 different time
valuesin your index between the two times, there will be 2,000
clauses. If there
are 10,000 documents, but only 10 different times between these two values,
you'll get 10 clauses. Lucene defaults to 1024 maximum clauses, and if your
query expands to more than this, you get the TooManyClauses exception.

This does not apply to Filters, and there are specialty classes for dealing
with this issue. Also, you have some control over how many clauses by
choosing the resolution you store in your index. In the above, if you stored
only by minute, you'd never get more than 60 clauses in an hour.

And there are more graceful ways around this, so don't be discouraged.

I'm sure this is confusing (I know it certainly confused me for a long
time). My hope  is that as you work with the process and run across issues,
you'll be able to say "Oh, that is what they were talking about". And be of
good cheer, these are not show-stoppers at all, they have been dealt with
successfully on a wide range of projects.

Search the mail archive for date, daterange, toomanyclauses, etc and you'll
see the discussions.....

Best
Erick

Posted by abdul aleem <ja...@yahoo.com>.
Many thanks Grant,
I will now dirty my hands with Lucene to get our
requirements

regards,
Abdul

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
See below

Re: Lucene id generation

Posted by karl wettin <ka...@gmail.com>.
11 dec 2006 kl. 16.15 skrev Waheed Mohammed:

> Is there a way to influence lucene's generation of ids while indexing.

If you speak of the Lucene "document number", then no. And are you
aware of the fact that document numbers are eligable for change at
any time (optimization) without giving you any notification of what
was changed to what?

> my requirement is. I want to have different indexes where no index
> should have
> ids that have been assigned to an index earlier.

You'll have to handle and add thoses identities manually in a stored
field.

Re: Lucene id generation

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
I don't believe that this is possible. Or desirable. Lucene IDs are mutable,
even within an index. That is, if you index docs that get, say, IDs 1, 2, 3,
4, 5 and delete doc 2 and optimize, Docs 4 and 5 get reassigned IDs 3 and 4
(or something similar).

You're far better off controlling this yourself. That is, forget Lucene IDs
and make up your own unique IDs that you can guarantee form disjoint sets
across your multiple indexes, then work with those.

Best
Erick

Re: Lucene id generation

Posted by Waheed Mohammed <wa...@fiz-technik.de>.
Thanks for the instant reply,
I see what rajesh advises is something lilke what MultiReader does.
That would be my last approach becouse of the complexities it will introduce
in developing the business case I have.
Any thing other than that would be a appriciable ppointer

On Monday 11 December 2006 17:10, Ramana Jelda wrote:
> I really lack this feature from lucene too.
> Whatever the requirements from Mohammed, There surely I see some
> improvements in search performance.
>
> My argument here is, why not lucene provides a mechanism to be able to
> provide custom document ids?

A W Mohammed
Software Entwickler
FIZ-technik e.V
Frankfut am Main

RE: Lucene id generation

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: Exactly in this scenario, I would love to use my custom generated document
: id.
: The array reference number is MyId & its value is some-interested-value
: matched to MyID.
:
: So,how can I generate custom document id.?

you can't .. you can index you custom "MyID" value and use the FieldCache
to look it up -- using the lucene docid.

That's what Karl is refering to: he uses the lucene docid as the *index*
in the array, and his MyId values are *stored* in the array.

Posted by Ramana Jelda <ra...@ciao-group.com>.
Hi Hoss,
Exactly in this scenario, I would love to use my custom generated document
id.
The array reference number is MyId & its value is some-interested-value
matched to MyID.

So,how can I generate custom document id.?

Jelda

Re: Lucene id generation

Re: Lucene id generation

Posted by karl wettin <ka...@gmail.com>.

RE: Lucene id generation

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
if you are trying to think of Lucene's docid as a meaningful number, you
are doing something wrong.

A lot of people want to view Lucene docids the same way they look at
auto-incrimented unique keys in a database -- don't do that.  Instead
think of them as memory addresses in C or C++ ... they are a handy
numberic value that tells Lucene at what offset in various segment files
it can find data about that document -- as your index changes, as data
gets moved arround, docids change.

the best corrallary that can be made to a database is not auto-generated
unique keys, it's row numbers ... the physical row number of where that
row is in the sequence of rows in your table -- a number most databases
never give you access to unless you are dealing withthe low level
internals of hte table, because as you add or deleted lots of data, as you
drop and load new indexes those numbers can change.

if you want control of a unique ID for each of hte documents in your index
-- at one as a field just like any other.

: Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 17:10:18 +0100
: From: Ramana Jelda <ra...@ciao-group.com>
: To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
:
: I really lack this feature from lucene too.
: Whatever the requirements from Mohammed, There surely I see some
: improvements in search performance.
:
: My argument here is, why not lucene provides a mechanism to be able to
: provide custom document ids?
:
:
: > > Is there a way to influence lucene's generation of ids
: > while indexing.
: > >
: > > my requirement is. I want to have different indexes where no index
: > > should have ids that have been assigned to an index earlier.
: > > for instance
: > > IDX1 : {0.........100}
: > > IDX2: {101.......200}
: > > IDX3: {201.......300}
: > > but not
: > > IDX1 : {0.........100}
: > > IDX2 : {0.........100}
: > > IDX3 : {0.........100}
: >
: >

RE: Lucene id generation

Posted by Ramana Jelda <ra...@ciao-group.com>.

Re: Lucene id generation

Posted by Find Me <fi...@gmail.com>.

Lucene id generation

Posted by Mike Streeton <mi...@ardentiasearch.com>.
I would use a RangeFilter instead of using the default Boolean query as
this will always break at some point with Too many Boolean clauses.
Extend QueryParser to sort this out.  As far as extracting information
from log files I would look at creating yourself a LogAnalyzer that can
interpret the contents and indexing it appropriately.

Hope this helps

Mike

www.ardentiasearch.com the home of NetSearch