Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org> on 2007/02/28 15:03:33 UTC

Wiki documentation in releases

We at Lucene Java have been debating moving most of our docs to a
Wiki format, but one thing that is holding us back is the notion of
tagging/exporting the Wiki at the moment of release.  We see from
reading the Confluence docs that this is technically plausible.
However, when reading http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/
CWIKI/Index it says that we need to get CLAs for any contributions
from non-committers.

Someone asked on our dev list if it was possible to get some sort of
"click-agreement" for this type of thing?  Something to the effect
that By clicking here you agree that all contributions made to this
documentation are copyright the ASF, etc.  I know most people don't
read the fine print, so I don't know how well it would hold up.

Is this feasible?  Would it properly cover the ASF?  If it is
feasible, what would it take to put in place?  Board approval?

Thanks,
Grant Ingersoll

Re: Wiki documentation in releases

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.

On Feb 28, 2007, at 9:33 AM, Grant Ingersoll wrote:

> On Feb 28, 2007, at 9:22 AM, Upayavira wrote:
>
>> Grant Ingersoll wrote:
>>> We at Lucene Java have been debating moving most of our docs to a
>>> Wiki format, but one thing that is holding us back is the notion
>>> of tagging/exporting the Wiki at the moment of release.  We see
>>> from reading the Confluence docs that this is technically
>>> plausible.  However, when reading http://cwiki.apache.org/
>>> confluence/display/CWIKI/Index it says that we need to get CLAs
>>> for any contributions from non-committers.
>>> Someone asked on our dev list if it was possible to get some sort
>>> of "click-agreement" for this type of thing?  Something to the
>>> effect that By clicking here you agree that all contributions
>>> made to this documentation are copyright the ASF, etc.  I know
>>> most people don't read the fine print, so I don't know how well
>>> it would hold up.
>>> Is this feasible?  Would it properly cover the ASF?  If it is
>>> feasible, what would it take to put in place?  Board approval?
>>
>> Generally projects that do this have two wikis, one a general
>> wiki, and another for their website. The website on they control
>> with strict permissions only granting karma to committers (I guess
>> you could grant karma to those who have signed CLAs).
>>
>> Does that help? Or are you trying to get more folks contributing?
>>
>> Regards, Upayavira

Grant Ingersoll
Center for Natural Language Processing
http://www.cnlp.org