Posted to dev@pulsar.apache.org by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com> on 2021/01/29 08:05:04 UTC

Virtual Pulsar Community Meetings

Hello everyone,
in the BookKeeper community we used to have "Community Meetings" in order
to meet each other, discuss current works on the project, share knowledge
about current problems.

What about having Community meetings for Pulsar ?
I would be happy to organize and to host the first meeting.

In Apache we keep the decisions and the discussions on mailing lists, so
these meetings would be only to share information and we are not going to
make decisions.

The Pulsar community is distributed all over the world, we have people from
China, the US, Europe, it will be hard to find a good time for everyone.
I suggest for the first meeting to meet at 8:30 PST

For reference, this is the link to the "minutes" of the Community Meetings
in BK,
Sijie and Matteo will remember those days
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/BOOKKEEPER/Community+Meetings

Enrico

Re: Virtual Pulsar Community Meetings

Posted by Aparnesh Gaurav <ap...@gmail.com>.
+1 ! Great initiative .

Best regards,
Aparnesh

On Fri, Jan 29, 2021 at 12:45 AM Renkai Ge <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:

> +1 Hope it can be a little earlier, too.
>
> > 2021年1月29日 下午4:41,Jia Zhai <zh...@gmail.com> 写道:
> >
> > One concern is related to the time slot,  8:30 PST seems to be a little
> > late for China(0:30 AM) and Japan, also a little early for the US.
> > Maybe 4:00-5:00 PM PST?
> >
> > Best Regards.
> >

> > Jia Zhai
> >
> > Beijing, China
> >
> > Mobile: +86 15810491983
> >

> > On Fri, Jan 29, 2021 at 4:22 PM Michael Marshall <mi...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> As a new contributor looking to get more involved, I’m very interested
> in
> >> regular community meetings.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Michael Marshall

> >> order
> >> knowledge

> so

> >> from
> everyone.

> >> Meetings
> >>>>

> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/BOOKKEEPER/Community+Meetings

Aparnesh Gaurav

Re: Virtual Pulsar Community Meetings

Posted by Renkai Ge <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jia Zhai <zh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Marshall <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jia Zhai <zh...@gmail.com>.
+1, we are doing some kind of similar thing in China for Pulsar Community
online & offline. Hope we could do this globally.

Best Regards.

Jia Zhai

Beijing, China

Mobile: +86 15810491983

Posted by Lari Hotari <La...@hotari.net>.

Posted by Lari Hotari <La...@hotari.net>.
Gotcha. Yes, it's impossible to have just one time that works for all. I'm
fine with your original proposal.

-Lari

Posted by Sijie Guo <gu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Lari Hotari <La...@hotari.net>.

Posted by Jonathan Ellis <jb...@gmail.com>.
Since it got a little buried in the thread, here's a reminder that the
first meeting is today at 4 Pacific.  Agenda and call info are here:

--
Jonathan Ellis
co-founder, http://www.datastax.com

Re: Virtual Pulsar Community Meetings

Posted by Sijie Guo <gu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sijie Guo <gu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sijie Guo <gu...@gmail.com>.
The main reason that I propose two meetings is the timezone issue. I don't
think we are going to find a perfect time for contributors from different
regions.
The OSS collaboration emphasizes asynchronous communication. The purpose of
the meetings is not to turn asynchronous communication into synchronous
communication.
Those meetings are only used for alignments and to make some of the
communications more efficient. So whether it is one meeting or two
meetings, it doesn't really matter.

We can keep two meetings available. People can choose which one to attend
and discuss. If there is a meeting that fewer people attend, we can always
cancel it.

Community meetings are informal events for gathering people together to
discuss topics. I don't think we need a vote to do that.
We can get the first meeting started. As we go, we can make it better.

- Sijie

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.
Thank you all,

Posted by ran leon <mo...@gmail.com>.
+1 Sijie Guo <gu...@gmail.com>

Posted by ������ <co...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Sijie Guo <gu...@gmail.com>.
Patrick,

Thank you for sharing this! As said above, the meetings are just for
providing channels for discussions. They are not used for making decisions.
All decisions are made in the mailing list.

- Sijie

Posted by Patrick McFadin <pm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sijie Guo <gu...@gmail.com>.
Video recordings are important for providing transparency to the community.

For example, the Kafka community has a great list of recordings discussing
KIP.
CNCF posts all the meeting recordings. It doesn't matter it is a Youtube
channel or just a recording that is available in Google Drive.
We just need to make sure it is publicly accessible to the community.

- Sijie

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rui Fu <fu...@rui.sh>.

Posted by Anonymitaet _ <an...@hotmail.com>.
+1

Exchange of ideals offers us more opportunities to learn about Pulsar and the community.

Posted by Ran Gao <rg...@streamnative.io.INVALID>.
+1 @sijie

Posted by Yong Zhang <zh...@gmail.com>.
Awesome.

Agree with sijie, because of the timezone, it's better to run the meeting
separately.

Regards,
Yong

Posted by xiaolong ran <ra...@gmail.com>.
+1
I think we need to talk about the time zone into consideration is great.

Best Regards,
Xiaolong Ran

Jinfeng Huang <hj...@streamnative.io.invalid> 于2021年1月29日周五 下午5:06写道:

Posted by Guangning E <gu...@apache.org>.
+1 @Sijie Guo <gu...@gmail.com>  That looks a little more reasonable.

Thanks,
Guangning

PengHui Li <pe...@apache.org> 于2021年1月29日周五 下午5:20写道:

Posted by PengHui Li <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jinfeng Huang <hj...@streamnative.io.INVALID>.
+1

Posted by Yunze Xu <yz...@streamnative.io.INVALID>.
+1

Posted by Sijie Guo <gu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Fangbin Sun <su...@gmail.com>.
+1 Hope it can be a little earlier, too.

Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com> 于2021年1月29日周五 下午4:05写道:

Posted by Lin Lin <li...@apache.org>.
I look forward to it and hope to coordinate the time so that developers from China can also participate.