Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Carl Ballantyne <ca...@gmail.com> on 2011/09/21 17:31:44 UTC

Unit Test Struts2 Action - Custom type converters not being run?

Hi All,

I have an action that I am trying to unit test. However it seems the
converters I have set for the User object that is being create by the action
are not being applied at all when running the unit test. The converters are
run when running the application.

For example I have a test class:

public class UserCreateTest extends StrutsSpringTestCase {

public void testValidationRequired() throws Exception {
             request.setParameter("user.roles", "");

             ActionProxy proxy = getActionProxy("/createUser.action");

            ActionSupport action = (ActionSupport)proxy.getAction();

            proxy.setExecuteResult(false); // Do not execute view
(JSP/Tiles)
            proxy.execute();

            // asserts to check errors etc......
     }
}

And then for that test class I have getUser and setUser methods that return
a User object. This object has an attribute roles that has a converter
applied by puting a User-conversion.properties file in the same folder as
the User class. All this works fine when running the app. It is just when
running the unit test it does not seem to get run. Or at least it is not
getting run before the Validation interceptor which seems odd to me.

Anyone have any ideas? Anyone testing validation for actions that involve
custom convertors?

Cheers,
Carl.

Re: Unit Test Struts2 Action - Custom type converters not being run?

Posted by Dave Newton <da...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 11:21 AM, Carl Ballantyne
<ca...@gmail.com>wrote:

> I had a User-conversion.properties file in the same package as the
> User.java
> file. However when the project was being built with maven it was not
> copying
> over the .properties files from the src/main/java folder. I opted to put it
> in the src/main/resources folder using the same package name as the java
> class which resolved the issue.

That's where non-Java resources belong, so this makes sense.

> I would have normally picked up on this but when using the M2e WTP Plugin
> it
> *was* copying over the properties files.

It's more likely it was Eclipse doing that; Maven should only be taking Java
source files from the Java source directory.

Dave

Re: Unit Test Struts2 Action - Custom type converters not being run?

Posted by Carl Ballantyne <ca...@gmail.com>.
In end the I figured out the problem. Thought I would post what the issue
was in case anyone googles the same problem later.

Basically the conversion properties file was not present. So no converter
was being picked up. Simple but the properties file was sometimes present.

A bit beyond the scope of Struts2 but ........

I had a User-conversion.properties file in the same package as the User.java
file. However when the project was being built with maven it was not copying
over the .properties files from the src/main/java folder. I opted to put it
in the src/main/resources folder using the same package name as the java
class which resolved the issue.

I would have normally picked up on this but when using the M2e WTP Plugin it
*was* copying over the properties files. So therefore the problem would only
appear after doing a clean. If I deployed the app using M2e WTP Plugin it
would copy over the properties files to the target folder and the converters
would be run. I thought the M2e WTP Plugin would only use my pom.xml
settings.

Posted by Carl Ballantyne <ca...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Carl Ballantyne <ca...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Maurizio Cucchiara <mc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Miguel Almeida <mi...@almeida.at>.
On Wed, 2011-09-21 at 17:55 +0200, Carl Ballantyne wrote:

> How can I try the nightly build if using Maven? I do not see it listed as an
> option.

Would be nice if Struts released SNAPSHOT versions into maven. Does it?

> > Be aware that you can write your test as follow:
> >
> > public void testValidationRequired() throws Exception {
> >            request.setParameter("user.roles", "");
> >             executeAction("/your_package/your_action.action");
> >
> >           // asserts to check errors etc......
> >    }
> > }

Maurizio: you can't use this if you have to set objects (eg:
action.setSession(session );), does it? In my sessioned test I need:
		action.setSession(session );

actionProxy.getInvocation().getInvocationContext().setSession(session);
perhaps the first could be replaced with request.setParameter() (can
it?), but I need the second - otherwise I'll have a nullpointerexception
in my action's session.get() method (because ServletConfigInterceptor's
((SessionAware) action).setSession(context.getSession()); (line 146)
will set it to null and override the action.setSession(session)
instruction)

Miguel

Re: Unit Test Struts2 Action - Custom type converters not being run?

Posted by Carl Ballantyne <ca...@gmail.com>.
I am using 2.2.3.

Posted by Maurizio Cucchiara <mc...@apache.org>.