Posted to users@felix.apache.org by Erwin Hogeweg <er...@me.com> on 2015/09/02 20:35:26 UTC

How to avoid EventAdmin blacklisting while keeping the timeout.

Hi,

I am trying to configure the event admin is such a way that I still have a timeout, but that the handler isn’t blacklisted right away. It looks like an all or nothing proposition though, unless I am not interpreting the doc (http://felix.apache.org/documentation/subprojects/apache-felix-event-admin.html) correctly.

I see some suggestions to kick the handler off in a separate thread, but I am wondering if this is the only solution.

FWIW,  I am using eventadmin-1.4.2.

Erwin

Re: How to avoid EventAdmin blacklisting while keeping the timeout.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
>From what I understand here is that you want a timeout and instead of
blacklisting, event admin should stop/kill the handler after the timeout.
There is no way to stop a handler when it's processing an event. So if
the handler takes more than 5 seconds, event admin can't do anything
about it. The only thing it can do is blacklist it.

Carsten

Am 02.09.15 um 21:14 schrieb Neil Bartlett:
> Okay thanks, this clarifies things. Because these two things are strongly linked in my mind, I thought you wanted it to both timeout AND not-timeout.
>
> As far as I’m aware, the decoupling you want is not possible in the current implementation. It may not even be compatible with the Event Admin spec. But I’ll let others comment on that.
>
> Neil
>

>> On 2 Sep 2015, at 19:57, Erwin Hogeweg <er...@me.com> wrote:
>>
>> Neil,
>>
>> Thanks for your prompt reply.
>>
>>> I don’t understand what you want.
>> Sorry about that. I want the handler to time-out after 5 seconds, but I DON’T want the handler to be black-listed. So next time there is an event for that handler the EventAdmin should try again, and possibly time-out again.
>>
>>> If you still have timeout, but the handler isn’t blacklisted right away… this is simply a non-zero timeout, isn’t it?
>> Now I don’t understand you. 5000 is non-zero. No?
>>
>> What I see happening is that at the first timeout the Handler is black listen and never called again, until I update the Admin props.
>>
>> Erwin
>>

>>> Neil

Carsten Ziegeler
Adobe Research Switzerland
cziegeler@apache.org

Re: How to avoid EventAdmin blacklisting while keeping the timeout.

Posted by Neil Bartlett <nj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Erwin Hogeweg <er...@me.com>.
Neil,

Posted by Neil Bartlett <nj...@gmail.com>.
I don’t understand what you want. If you still have timeout, but the handler isn't blacklisted right away… this is simply a non-zero timeout, isn’t it?