Posted to community@apache.org by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk> on 2004/08/12 16:39:53 UTC

Re: Inexpensive Lists

Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> --On Sunday, July 18, 2004 4:20 PM -0400 Brian McCallister
>
>> I suspect that if 3 ASF'ers want to discuss a topic via email, and think
>> a mailing list would help, there should be a mechanism to simply have it
>> created, bang. Just my 2 cents =)
>

> Mailing lists without PMC oversight should be treated with extreme
> caution. Lists without the necessary oversight might expose the ASF to
> unwanted liability.

Get real. How is that going to happen? Are you seriously suggesting that
the ASF is responsible for what people post to lists?

>  The ASF isn't a personal soapbox medium: it's meant
> to facilitate collaborative software projects.
>
> For example, this list (community@) is a *horrible* waste of time that
> adds little value: almost every topic here has a more appropriate list
> elsewhere in the ASF (or, ideally, outside of the ASF).  But, people
> seem to use this list as a dumping ground and are often too lazy to
> think about what the 'proper' list is - instead they just post to
> community@.

That is not an example of exposing ASF to unwanted liability.

Re: Inexpensive Lists

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>.

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004, Ben Laurie wrote:

> > Mailing lists without PMC oversight should be treated with extreme

> Get real. How is that going to happen? Are you seriously suggesting that
> the ASF is responsible for what people post to lists?

> > For example, this list (community@) is a *horrible* waste of time that

Heck - community@ is a good thing, a place to vent things and do some
plotting to overtage the governement; and we even have, shudder, horror,
calvanist shock, lists which may tempt people to party@.

Dw.