Posted to users@groovy.apache.org by Russel Winder <ru...@winder.org.uk> on 2017/03/17 15:26:24 UTC

Emacs Groovy Mode

I am not sure how many people use Emacs and the Emacs Groovy mode, but
for all those that do a bit of news.

It has been decided that trying to make the Groovy mode do groovy
things with the mode being based on CC Mode, is becoming impossible –
there are features of Groovy that are effectively incompatible with the
Java mode in CC Mode. Wilfred Hughes has made a start on what is
effectively a new Groovy mode not based on CC mode. This will mean that
all things are possible, at the expense of having to write more ELisp
code.

The Groovy Mode Git repository now has a new branch standalone_mode
which has Wilfred's initial stab at separating Groovy mode from CC
Mode. We need people to try it out, report back, file issues, submit
pull requests, and generally get this into a state where it can be
merged into master to become the official Groovy model.

https://github.com/Groovy-Emacs-Modes/groovy-emacs-modes

This new mode is not in MELPA, so people will have to uninstall Groovy
mode if installed from MELPA, clone this repository, switch to
standalone_mode branch and then do a symbolic link from their
~/.emacs.d directory to groovy.el so as to install the mode. This is a
fairly standard set up so I am hoping isn't a big deal for people.

There is no separate email list, so if we put [Emacs mode] in the
subject with emails to this list those interested can read and those
not can quickly delete.

--
Russel.

Re: Emacs Groovy Mode

Posted by Mario Garcia <ma...@gmail.com>.
Great news!!!

I'm using Groovy and emacs daily basis so I'll try to keep an eye on this
github repository.

Thanks guys

On 17 Mar 2017 20:26, "Balachandran Sivakumar" <be...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Dr. Russel,

        Thanks to you and Wilfred for the groovy-mode in emacs :) I do
use it quite extensively and will be able to provide feedback. Thanks

sip:russel.winder@ekiga.net

--
Thank you
Balachandran Sivakumar