Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by "Jackson, Douglas" <do...@siemens.com> on 2021/08/30 20:36:05 UTC

Security issues

Hi!
I am using activemq 5.16.3 and camel 2.25.4. There appears to be some security issues with them based on a tool called Dependency-check.
It also flags a security issue with the velocity engine 2.0 (which camel-velocity 2.25.4 lists as a dependency).
Are these valid?
Is it possible to use a more recent version of the velocity-engine with the camel-velocity 2.5.4?
Are there any plans to address these in the 5.15.x and 2.25.x releases?

CVE-2019-17571<http://web.nvd.nist.gov/view/vuln/detail?vulnId=CVE-2019-17571>
CVE-2020-11971<http://web.nvd.nist.gov/view/vuln/detail?vulnId=CVE-2020-11971>
CVE-2020-13936<https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/detail/CVE-2020-13936>

Thanks in advance for any guidance,

-Doug

Re: Security issues

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofre <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Doug,

You can update Camel dependencies independently from ActiveMQ.

Further more, ActiveMQ 5.16.3 already supports Camel 3.x (including activemq-camel).
However, I still recommend to use the camel-jms component (maintained at Camel).

Regards
JB

Re: Security issues

Posted by Matt Pavlovich <ma...@gmail.com>.
IIANAL: Both of those look specific to how the library is used, and mere presence does not mean the flaw can be exploited.

1. Upgrading log4j on your own should not be a problem— doubtful the SocketServer class being used by log4j in most ActiveMQ deployments.

2. With Camel, I wonder if disabling JMX would mitigate the issue— best to ping the users email list over at Camel to be sure.

Camel 3.x support is being targeted for ActiveMQ 5.17.x.

Thanks,
Matt Pavlovich

RE: Security issues

Re: Security issues