Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by Noneatme <in...@noneat.me> on 2020/08/14 07:07:18 UTC

Strange German keyboard layout issue

Hello all,

I'm running guacamole-1.1.0, both client and server on the same machine.
The remote computer I connect to is a Hyper-V VM running Xubuntu 20.04
x86_64 Linux 5.4.0-42-generic.

In the guacamole connection properties, I have selected the keyboard
layout for this connection German (Qwertz).

In the VM, I also selected the german keyboard. I connect via RDP  and
also selected the

0x0407 de German (Germany)

layout in XRDP.

Now, whenever I want to write the tilde character (the upper key on the
left side of enter), I press ALTGR + TILDE and and the result is '\ ', a
backslash with a space. But it should write ~ instead.

I also have tried various keyboard layouts already. It seems nothing
works. It also does not work on Windows machines as well. It also does
not work either in Chrome or Firefox.

It's pretty annoying because I can't navigate into my home directory
using a command line without using google to search for the tilde
character, copy it and paste it into my terminal window.

It would be nice if someone maybe knows what I'm doing wrong.

Thank you!

Re: Strange German keyboard layout issue

Posted by Noneatme <in...@noneat.me>.
> And I am pretty sure, you need to restart the freshly compiled binary.

Yeah, that's what I find weird, I didn't had to.

After replacing the client war file (after I executed "make install"), I
got disconnected (maybe because tomcat registered a file change of the
.war file) and after hitting F5 on my browser, I got connected again and
1.2 was running. I'm sure that I got the 1.2 version because now, there
is a small thumbnail on the bottom right when I got two connections
open. That wasn't there before. It was very confusing for me because I
haven't even restarted guacd yet.

Well anyway, it works fine now! Thank you again.

Cheers

Posted by Sven Specker <sp...@rz.uni-frankfurt.de>.
On 2020-08-14 12:54, Noneatme wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After I made the changes you mentioned, I've compiled the server and
> replaced the .war file with the new client. After a reconnect, I could
> type the ~ again. I didn't even had to restart guacd, that was interesting.
>
> While doing so, I also upgraded to guacamole 1.2 simultaneously.

Maybe it was fixed in 1.2 :)

Because the keymap is in guacd's hands, the client war has nothing to do
with it unless I am much mistaken.

And I am pretty sure, you need to restart the freshly compiled binary.

My settings were only valid for 1.0, I have yet to update mine to 1.2
and will find out if that problem was fixed.

Best regards,

Sven Specker

*** Sven Specker -- University of Frankfurt Computing Center   ***
*********** UNIX System Administration (Auth/IDM) ****************
***** specker@rz.uni-frankfurt.de [Phone (+49)-69-798-15188] *****
		Johann Wolfgang Goethe Universitaet
  		   - Hochschulrechenzentrum -
  	         Theodor W. Adorno-Platz 1 (PA-1P16)

  		   D-60323 Frankfurt/Main
______________ TeX-users do it in {groups}________________________

Re: Strange German keyboard layout issue

Posted by Noneatme <in...@noneat.me>.
Hi,

After I made the changes you mentioned, I've compiled the server and
replaced the .war file with the new client. After a reconnect, I could
type the ~ again. I didn't even had to restart guacd, that was interesting.

While doing so, I also upgraded to guacamole 1.2 simultaneously.

Thank you very much for your help!

Best Regards

Posted by Sven Specker <sp...@rz.uni-frankfurt.de>.
On 2020-08-14 09:07, Noneatme wrote: