Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by marotosg <ma...@gmail.com> on 2016/07/25 14:09:57 UTC

Using log4j.xml in Solr6

Hi all,

I am trying to upgrade Solr4.11 to Solr6 and having some trouble with
logging.
I have Solr4.11 running on tomcat 6 as a solr.war. Inside my solr.war a few
jar files updated as it explains in this post so I can use a "log4j.xml"
with some advanced features to compress old files.
https://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrLogging

This is not working for me on Solr6.2.

Does anyone know how to achive the usage of log4j.xml in newer versions of
Solr server?

Thanks
Sergio

Re: Using log4j.xml in Solr6

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
_How_ is it "not working"? You might want
to review:

Best,
Erick

Re: Using log4j.xml in Solr6

Posted by marotosg <ma...@gmail.com>.
After a bit of testing I got it working. Basically all the configuration for
log4j by default is under server/resources/log4j.properites.
By default log4j should be able to find log4j.xml if you delete
log4j.properties. I tried it and that's no the case.

I figured out this is due the fact that solr script "solr start" sets the
configuration file manually. I replaced in the script "log4j.properties" by
"log4j.xml" and it works well.

I basically need it because some extensions don't work without log4j.xml.

Please correct me if what I am doing doesn't make sense.

Thanks
Sergio