Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Mankit Sze <fi...@mac.com> on 2005/09/11 00:04:35 UTC

[users@httpd] Issues with worker MPM on Mac OS X?

The default MPM for Apache 2.0.x on Mac OS (FreeBSD) is prefork MPM
because the multi-threaded worker MPM has issues on FreeBSD. I'm
wondering if anybody knows what are the issues?

Yours,

Mankit

Re: [users@httpd] Issues with worker MPM on Mac OS X?

Posted by "Philip M. Gollucci" <pg...@p6m7g8.com>.
Mankit Sze wrote:
> The default MPM for Apache 2.0.x on Mac OS (FreeBSD) is prefork MPM
> because the multi-threaded worker MPM has issues on FreeBSD. I'm
> wondering if anybody knows what are the issues?
I haven't seen any.... I run prefork in production, but worker passes 100% of
the tests with an ithread enabled perl and threaded apr.

BTW, thats FreeBSD 5.3+ with libpthread.so

--
END
                 Nothing is impossible.

Consultant / http://p6m7g8.net/Resume/
   http://www.liquidityservicesinc.com
        http://www.liquidation.com
        http://www.uksurplus.com
        http://www.govliquidation.com
        http://www.gowholesale.com

Re: [users@httpd] Issues with worker MPM on Mac OS X?

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.
On 9/10/05, Mankit Sze <fi...@mac.com> wrote:
> The default MPM for Apache 2.0.x on Mac OS (FreeBSD) is prefork MPM
> because the multi-threaded worker MPM has issues on FreeBSD. I'm
> wondering if anybody knows what are the issues?

The issue is buggy freebsd threading libraries.  I've heard that some
people have had more luck with the latest version of freebsd, but I
don't know details.  There are several threads on the dev at
httpd.apache.org mailing list related to this topic.  For example, the
thread including this message:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/httpd-dev/200403.mbox/%3c2147483647.1078180247@localhost%3e

Joshua.